Kennethw, thank you for the education. This began with me asking why it costs so much to rebuilt a stomp starter over a "regular" starter, say comparing 1958 to 1968 starters on 12 volt trucks.
What my above quoted post was meant to question is, given I figure a good stomp button is around $25 with shipping, why don't stomp starters just cost whatever a regular solenoid starter would cost to rebuild PLUS $25.
I realize you cannot get a starter rebuilt for $25. So, in your opinion, to have my first '58 stomp starter have a new armature and stomp button installed and charged $145, I got a bargain? I'm asking seriously, because this post was all about me getting educated why it costs so much more to rebuild a stomp starter than a solenoid type starter. Not saying the oreilly rebuild starters are earth shattering, but I guess a rebuilt one for a '68 C-10 probably around $50-60 with core trade in?
Should it be considered routine a stomp starter should cost $150 or more to rebuild? Thank you for your thoughts and sharing, I'm really not a starter rebuilder and do not question anyone's experience, just wanted to learn. Lefty