I have a 1953 3100 that has been in my family since it was new. It has been sitting in a barn since 1988.
Recently I have been looking it over, thinking about doing some work to it, so I can drive and enjoy it.
The manual transmission shifter is on the floor. I recall my Dad once saying that it originally came with the shifter on the steering column, but because of some "problems" the shifter was moved to the floor by the dealer when the truck was less then a year old.
When I sit in the truck (it does not currently run) and shift the transmission, it feels like a 4 speed. Reverse to down left, First center up, Second center down, Third right up and Fourth right down.
I was under the impression that in a '53 3100, the column shift manual transmission was a 3 speed.
Was there a 4 speed manual transmission available for the '53 3100?
My thinking now is that perhaps it was not the column shifter that had "problems" but rather the transmission and the dealer changed out the 3 speed to a 4 speed and the shifter moved to the floor as a result. Is that a possibility in late 1953 or early 1954?
Thank You
Tim H