Okey dokey...I know it's really unusual for me to be
disagreeable, but I'm gonna be on the disagreement side of
this one guys. Once again I have to ask, why would GM waste
their time installing a gasket/anti-squeak material on
millions of vehicles for decades if it wasn't necessary?
The cab, hanging from it's shackles and front clip do move
around some as the frame twists.
This is my opinion now so take it as that, but I feel that
it's needed as a buffer between two metal parts.
I think Bill's correct, where it's second purpose is to act as
a seal. With out it, water would work it's way thru the bolt
holes at the inner skirt/toe board interface and outer/inner
fender seam and the paint will wear thru at points of contact
where rust will develop. Of course if you have a trailer
queen which mostly sits on a throne in an air conditioned,
climate controlled garage and never sees a rain drop or high
humidity, then this is a mute point and you can leave it out.
Hope you know I'm just pokin' fun at ya Carl...
The square pads are for the lower radiator support and the
round pads are for the front cab mount.
The staples probably will not match up to the original holes,
I threw the ones they sent me away and made my own.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/123537640But it's simple enough to make a handful of them up using your
choice of Bailing wire/Mechanics Wire/Lock wire, which is
available at any hardware supplier or in most tool boxes of
the average handyman.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-ft-mechanics-wire-97773.htmlDenny Graham
Sandwich, IL