Chevrolet has two US engine plants...Flint (since the begining) and Tonowanda (since 1938).

My thoughts on the engine gray and a little background on me...I started my Chevrolet research in 1975 and have been a VCCA Tech Advisor since 1978 (for the 1935 Master cars). That said, I'm still a student learning all the time. I think Tim's sermon really does sum it up. I agree that the correct gray engine color at least for the pre war engine is closer to the color The Filling Station sells than the Light Gray color Bill Hirsh sells. Back in the 1970's there was no internet and information was hard to get, so when restorers needing paint saw Bill Hirsh had "Chevrolet Engine Gray" they just assumed he had it right. Now 40-50 years later people still think the light color he sold is correct because so many trophy winning and museum cars are painted with his paint. We now know better, but after so many years of being told light gray was correct, it's hard to turn the ship around.

The exact paint color code was never put in print and sent to the dealers because there was no reason for them to ever need touch-up paint.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD