My buddy designed and built the truck in the early '70's. When I got the truck the bed was disassembled but the main part were there, however I did modify his original design somewhat. The dovetail is 4' long. There are 8" I beams for the cross bars that sit on top of the frame, the car does sit high. With the 8" I-beams I was able to cut the centers out to store the 10' ramps I found on Ebay. The dovetail runs from the top of the 8" beams to the lower part of the frame. I had a spare frame that I used to make the frame extensions and fish plates (reinforcements) I think the drop is around 14-15". This makes for neat storage of them. The ramps set on the same angle as the dovetail The one thing I can't tell you is the clearance for the hump since this truck was designed and built to be dedicated for the gasser which sets probably 6" higher than a car that sits normally. I will try to get some pictures posted with the ramps set up.
I was somewhat apprehensive about the overhang but after I started paying attention to ramp trucks and rollbacks, they all have quite an overhang. What little I have hauled the car it seems balanced well meaning it does not seem light in the front end.
Last edited by Chevy55; 08/17/2014 3:39 PM.