I rebuilt the 1958 261CID engine I have in my 54 3100 last July. Since then I have only put Valvoline VR1 10w30 oil in it. The machine shop that did the machine work insisted on it or the warranty on their work was immediately void. Valvoline VR1 oil is "said" to be the only motor oil to still have the VDDP additive in it. My machine shop tells me that if I stop using the VR1 my cam and lifters will be ruined.

My questions are:
Are there other oils with ZDDP in them (in proper amounts)?
If synthetic motor oils lubricate and protect so well why can't I use a good brand of one of those?


My engine is nicely broke in now and has 13K miles on it, and runs very smoothly. I have been using it to get back and forth to my college classes.



Any pointer will be very much appreciated
Walt Williams
La Verkin, UT