Boy Gus, I just can't beat you to the draw now days. Thanks for
posting the link.
Yep, there was a heavy felt paper full sheet under my transmission
cover, which was still stuck to the bottom of the cover with tar.
It' was much heavier than the 30lb. roofing paper edge gaskets
that the vendors are pawning off on us.
I belive if the truck originally came with an SM420 from the
factory it had the full sheet gasket under the cover. I've seen
quite a few which had them but not to many were still in tact
because water got under and or they were tore out just leaving
the edge around the flange. My thoughts are that they served a
dual purpose, first a gasket second as a sound deadener over
the transmission. All that I've see were form fit to the cover
shape and that's what I tried to duplicate on the new one that
I made for mine.
So Doyle what you got there is an original 4speed
transmission cover gasket, which isn't being reproduced
by any of the vendors. As I said, mine was a heavy
felt paper I would guess about twice as thick as
standard 30lb. asphalt impregnated roofing paper.
Yours appears to be made of a treated paper but not
treated with asphalt. It may be because it's a 1ton
or because of which plant it was built in.
I've been looking for nearly a decade but have yet
to find a source for felt paper heavier than the 30lb.
Anyone know of a source please let me know.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 06/06/2014 1:30 AM.