I have 4.10 gears in mine; they came in later trucks and are a direct swap. You just unbolt the third member (google) and bolt the new one in. With that 7.06:1 first gear, the PO may have very well decided that the deeper gears just weren't needed.
I don't see any problem with a 283 running 3,000RPM; that's what they did when they were new, so why not? It'll no doubt be thirstier, but I think you'll really have to wind a healthy 283 up pretty darn tight before you actually hurt it.
I run about 2,400RPM @ 55MPH and 2,700 @ 60 in my truck with 4.10 gears (and similar height tires--32"), so I'd guess that's probably what you have. FWIW, my truck also runs 70 fine @ 3,100. Not ideal, but it works. (I have a 250 inline six in it right now.)
Some of my crap:
1963 C-30 flatbed dually 292/SM420
1965 C-10 LWB fleet 250/column shift 3 speed
1965 C-30 9' stepside 250/SM420/4.10 gears (my DD)
Website I made for my crap:
http://www.66submarine.com