Generally speaking, with stock specs, they are usually set to 0 degrees base timing when set on the timing ball embedded in the flywheel, though that can vary a bit depending on what it was in originally. Without knowing what ignition system elmer46 is using, I can really only give a ballpark figure of 5-10 degrees advance for the setup he has. In mine, which has a very similar setup, seems to run best with 15 degrees advance at idle. I will mention, mine does not have a vacuum advance on it.
I'll agree with you on the old I6, much better engine that most folks give them credit for. I used to get people ask me all the time when I was going to "put a V8 in it", but once they hear it run, they tend to change their minds. My Uncle Max, who I mentioned in my other post, used to race with the one he had. He really liked beating up on the 392 Hemi cars. Most of them couldn't believe they got beat by an old Chevy 6.


Bill Burmeister