Ok, Automark, thanks for your patience with me - sorry I didn't say at the beginning that we are talking about a '54 Chevy 210 Coupe with the original engine, wiring, voltage etc. Now, I've done some more investigation based on your questions. First, yes, the key side of the coil does come from a common post on the gas gauge (and maybe that's the problem - a poor connection there?) Second, yes there is a tad bit of spark. I volunteered, my son turned the key - I got a zap, though not a big one. Finally, I took a voltage reading off the negative (distributor) side of the coil - I mentioned that I had strong voltage - but here's what it reads about 15 volts and drops to 7 volts when points open. How can this be? My VTOM isn't a super expensive model but it has been reliable in all other situations. Incidently my Tack/Dwell and Timing Light are Snap-On equipment in good working order. BTW - yes set the points with feeler gauge then adjusted the dwell from there.