The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (delky, Steelonsteel), 235 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 188
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 188
Really good article in March issue - text and dozens of pictures.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Man seems like everybody’s got their March issue of Classic Trucks but me. Sounds like there is a lot of info in that issue.
In the past I've subscribed to Skinned Knuckles, Auto Restorer and they were really a waste of time and money.
I'm a member of the VCCA but their G&D magazine hardly ever has any restoration articles in it, mostly just aimed at the tours that they take and the memorabilia collected. I just thumbed thru four issues while typing this and there is only one singe page article on restoration work in all.
Classic Trucks is one of the few magazines for the guys that are in the DIY crowd. Even though most of the time it’s geared toward the hot rodders there are still some good projects and review in it. Hope they can keep it up but would like to see a little more restoration rather than rodstoration.
I’ve been a subscriber to Vintage Truck for some time now and it’s my second choice for my month long bathroom reader.
So come on March issue I’m bout tapped out of reading material.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 188
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 188
I agree Denny, Vintage Truck is the greatest, I wait for its arrival.

I am a hesitant subscriber to Classic Trucks (too much hotrod stuff, I'm a stovebolt guy) but it does have some really good DYI at times.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
That is a pretty decent article. It shows some good closeups that help if you haven't done the job yet.

I get Vintage trucks and the VCCA magazine. For me the VCCA magazine is a source that I look at for rare parts.

I get Custom Classic Truck and Classic Truck and I really don't see a difference in what they put out. For me I enjoy reading the tech articles but not so much the rest of it.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by 54 5-window 3100
Vintage Truck is the greatest
thumbs_up
It's companion publication, Antique Power, is exellent as well.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Ok, got my March issue yesterday afternoon and finished it last night.
The rear end swap is pretty straightforward; all that info is available in your shop manual.
On the cab hoist boom or what ever you call it, I taint no engineer but that sure looks like the long way around a short solution. Without calculating the stresses on the unit the first thought was that it looks real flimsy with all those long lever moments and it is way to top heavy with the tip of the boom setting 10 feet in the air.
Slipping the crane boom inside the cab, keeping everything nice and short and using a simple 2x4 pallet to support the door openings, appears to me, a lot safer and much easier solution. That’s the way a bunch of the guys here have done it.
I’ve got an Enerpac shop lift that I’m simply going to replace the hook with a flanged plate that can push from the top onto the balance point at the bottom of a homemade pallet.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/17/2010 3:09 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Denny,

Is the pinion replacement article about a 3.55 torque-tube conversion?

Cab lift: Ditto on the simpler method of using a rolling engine-hoist/lift to remove/move a cab. Piece-of-cake at almost no extra cost. I did this by myself two months ago to the amazement of my fiends (using a 3x3 tightly strapped to the top of the extended boom-arm).

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Originally Posted by tclederman
Denny,

Is the pinion replacement article about a 3.55 torque-tube conversion?

Yes. In case Denny doesn't see your question.


Drew
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep Tim, same as any gear replacement as in the Service Manual but not as detailed.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0