The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Cletus1950, Charles in CA, TrknGMC, UtahYork, dt235sd, Peggy M), 185 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#606676 01/03/2010 9:32 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
I am beginning a restoration on this 1956 GMC Truck. It has a 270ci engine and a SM420 4 speed manual. I am finally starting to restore the truck, which we acquired in late 2006, and had parked in my garage since then.

The truck has been in my wife’s family since it was bought by her great grandfather in 1956. It was used to haul ice and wood in Payson, Arizona. The truck had been parked for many years until I towed it to our home in Peoria, Arizona.
I am amazed that there is really very little rust damage other than the cab corners. There is some surface rust, but overall I think I am fortunate not to have to do too much rust repair.

I intend to keep the truck mostly stock because I want people to see a good representation of what the truck looked like when it was new. However, I will make some modifications to the brakes, move the gas tank and add seat belts for safety reasons.

I am sure I have no idea of the headaches to come with this project, but I am glad I have this excellent resource to refer too when the time comes.

Front

Side

Engine

Last edited by J Lucas; 01/11/2010 5:51 AM.
Shawng56 #606677 01/03/2010 9:41 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Hi Shawn,firstly welcome to the 'bolt.
It's great you have a truck with such good connections...at least you know it's history.
Thankfully the Az. climate seems to be kind to old iron so as you said,rust shouldn't be a huge issue.
If you plan to tear the truck down, bag and tag everything,just look through the forums and you'll see folks asking where certain parts go as they never did this!
(don't ask me how I know....)
Especially if your resto takes a while.
Good luck on your new 'journey'
Jock thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0