| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,178 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | I'm thinking about hot-rodding my 50 3600 pickup: lowering the front 3-4" and the rear 5-6". Doing some other things... Has anyone lowered the rear of their 3/4-ton by flipping the axle on top of the springs?? Any other suggestions? Thanks! 
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 56 | I drove a hot rodded 1952 3100 for years. I even drove it 7000 miles in two weeks back in 1996. Filled up with gas 4 times the day I drove through Independence, MO and stopped at Jim Carter's.
I vowed never again to have a truck that is a car. This truck is staying a truck.
The only correct way to lower it in the rear is custom springs. Flipping the axle over the top of the springs relys on the the bolts to hold the load.
If you lower the front the only proper way to do it without steering geometry problems is dropped spindles. I'm not aware of anyone that makes them for 3/4 ton up. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | You can lower the front by going with a dropped axle. The rear is much more complicated.
There is limited room between the axle and the frame, so you loose most the suspension movement if you flip the axle on top the springs.
If you intend to continue using it as a truck you face some real challenges. If you intend to use it as a car with a pretty box out back look into a four-link setup with airbags and a c-notched frame.
Or you can Z the frame.
Lots of options, but without a better idea how you want to use the truck when its finished its hard to say which is your best bet.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | I was thinking about making a short, low "bobber" truck/ rat-rod out of it... but have about decided against it.
Professional Novice
| | |
| |
| |