| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,083 Posts1,056,332 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 | In the getting back to business phase of putting my 3800 DRW back together. I was spending some time with the old wood bed that came off the truck. I will be rebuilding it to the same specifications as it was originally. However, I was thinking about using a utility grade white oak instead of Southern Yellow Pine. After pricing it at a local lumberyard, I may be changing my mind. It was every bit of 3 times as expensive as the pine was going to be.
What is the general opinion of using a pressure treated yellow pine for a bed? I'm planning to tounge and groove the floor and sideboards, bolt everything back together with straps as the original was.
Any opinions? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 91 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 91 | Do some research, I think that presure treated wood will promote corrosion. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Don't use pressure treated in contact with metal. Use non-treated wood and coat it yourself with stain and clear. It will last much longer AND look better. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 | Duly noted. And will be cheaper too! My only issue will be finding a lumberyard around here that will have the large dimension (6x6 or 6x8) 10' stringers in a non-treated pine. Probably end up being a special order item. Or a road trip to the East Texas Piney Woods!
I plan to paint it, because that is how it was originally. Unless it turns out just too pretty to paint. I'll have to see how it looks with the finished truck. But at least for now the plan is to paint it a semi-gloss black.
Any suggestions on what paint to use? Probably just go on the recommendation of my buddy who manages the Sherwin Williams in town. Unless someone else has a better idea. | | |
| |
| |