The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (GDW, Gdads51, Shade Baby, Shaffer's1950, 3B, 1 invisible), 143 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,459
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#974726 09/27/2013 12:06 AM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
Hello,

While taking apart my 41 special deluxe I discovered the original downdraft carb had been replaced by a 52-53 Rochester carb. Since both engines are 216's, I am assuming it will work-air filter fits, throttle and fuel cables were hooked up, but Ive not seen it run. Does anyone know anything about using these Rochester carbs on the earlier model 216's and do you have a good link to rebuilding the Rochester?

Thank you,

Judson

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Chevrolet started using the Rochester model "B" carb in 1950.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I believe that they used the Rochester as a standard replacement on the older 216s also. It should work just fine for you.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
My 49 3100 w/216 has a Rochester model B and it works pretty good. Starts, idles and excelerates smoothly.
I especially like the step cam that slightly increases idle rpm when the choke is closed to partially closed.
One thing I've found out thus far is it didn't like the late model paper element I installed in the air cleaner. It was too restrictive. I went back to the original mesh filter and it worked much better. I'm thinking of hunting down an OEM oil bath.
Good luck
Dave

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 109
Thanks guys. It does look like you are right, the rochester carb was used as a standard replacement for the carter carbs. That makes sense why all the fittings line up. Im encouraged that this Model B seems to be a good carb for the 216. Thank you. Judson


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0