Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,271 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 | I have a 1947 1 1/2 ton Loadmaster with great two toned patina and I'm wrestling with the idea to paint it. I'm not into it very much so a quickie white spray is not out of the question inside and out. This truck has no rust and runs and drives but was bought to flip so does repainting a truck with no rust decrease the value over two tone patina??? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 235 | I have a two toned interior with the original colors. The paints are beautifully worn with use and normal wear. I find this to be an asset and for my truck, I think I would de-value its worth if I re-painted it new. This may apply to my truck only, partly because its wear is so authentic.
Send photos of yours. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | A person looking for a stock or "barn find" is definitely wanting patina for several reasons. To see that there is no rust/bondo, it looks neat to some people and they can decide themselves whether to "quickie white paint" it or not. If the patina is good patina, leave it alone for a flip. What is good patina? That's why Ritchie wants pics. Me too. In my book, people who do a quickie white or a flat black job could be hiding something... or some do a primer with a "guide" coat like they were really getting into restoring it.. yeah right. Like "It ran when I parked it".. doesn't every truck run until "parked" ?
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yeah, what they say, especially don't paint inside the same as outside, GM never did that and it would be an instant signal you were putting lipstick on the pig  Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 | That is an awesome way to think about it, thanks for putting it that way, I will post pictures!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 | It's funny the inside is worse than the outside that is like all I'd want to paint. did they have a stock interior color or did I miss the sarcasm? Thanks for the input!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 | Oh and I have a question, the previous owners put a round hole in the top of the drivers fender to run a "Wheat Exhaust" before I repair that is that desirable for down the road or just show it's use? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | There has been a lot posted on modern paint colors/codes for interior paint for 1947-52 Advance-design standard cab trucks.
Here is the name and original DuPont code
Medium Tan Metalli-Chrome instrument panel on all but Suburbanand Panel (also GMC) DUPONT 260-55257
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 | OMG yes it is a weird color of tan that has faded so thanks I know that hasn't been monkeyed with. Did you know what the color of the primer is supposed to be? I swear it hasn't been repainted at some point because the engine compartment matches the exterior. But it is like theres a light orangish or reddish color underneath the blue which seems to match several of the trucks on here made in 47. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 30 | This sounds crazy but how do I add a picture so you can see what I'm describing as the two toned patina (Possible showing the primer?) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 1,362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 1,362 | IF the patina is the factory original paint, then yes leave it, especially over doing some cheapy mess paint job. I say there is way more value in a good quality paint job than patina, as long as you have good photos to prove what was and is under the new paint and the new paint is good quality and done correctly. The reason there is more value is because a good paint job is valued in the $5000 up range. Patina is fine if the rust is put at bay and its not meant to be driven and parked in a museum. Most people that see a patina job think its just a cheap pile of junk, and look down on who ever the driver is. If patina was as cool as some folks think it is, then the new cars shipped to the dealer would be sanded to primer spotted messes and there would be no reason for body shops to fix all the fender benders.
Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks. Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.
As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,707 back yard wrench turner | | back yard wrench turner Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,707 | Read this to post photos: click Wayne1938 1-Ton Farm TruckStovebolt Gallery Forums1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | It's not so much as it looks "cool", to me it tells a story (not talking about a rust bucket), it seems like it's still useful just as it was. It's still original. The fact that it's popular now to recreate an old look, with "Joe's Garage" painted on, is evidence that the younger guys like it. But the real deal is nice to see. They all have a few dents when you get them. Antique collectors, which we can be called, never want anyone to touch a piece of furniture or bronze or a gun or sometimes even a truck. If it's neglected rusty, I say no, but if it's just old, rubbed off from usage/age/sun but kept out of the weather mostly, that's patina. With logos also, priceless.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | |
| |