| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,391 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 | I replaced my rusted out windshield frame in my 1946 GMC with a "made in USA" quality unit. The windshield is hinged at the top and cranks out. The problem is the new frame sits slightly low in the cab so the weatherstripping doesn't fall in the right area. I thought the solution would be to drill new holes in the hinges but thought I would ask for advice here first. The hinges aren't threaded so drilling new or elongating the old holes seems like an easy fix. Thoughts? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 | If you remove the valence sheet metal covering the hinge the hinges are secured with machine screws; they sit on a steel cross piece. The hinge could be spaced up with washers or metal shims to lift the whole hinge higher. You could try and do that through the wiper access hatch but the machine screws may just spin when you loosen the nuts holding the hinge. I have some pictures on page 4 of my photobucket that sort of shows the hinges. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 | Thanks for the advice but when I put even a thin washer under the hinges to lift them the hinges scrape the opening in the cab. I noticed the metal pieces that connect the two halves of the windshield are angled differently. I need to call the manufacturer and ask if that is correct. The windshield fits close but not perfect. I am surprised the factory didn't need to provide a method to adjust the hinges. | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | The angled metal connectors being " off " will affect the tightness of the frame/windshield in the corners, but not the height of the assembly at the top. Mine leaks around the lower right corner, as well as a tiny drip from the top center right. I used a Steeles Rubber gasket which is very flexible. Have found that when I close the windshield, if I " tweak " the gasket edges a bit, it seals pretty well.
As for Factory adjustments, I recall seeing a video of a family in Russia taking delivery of their brand new Lada ( after waiting 2 years ). It rolls off assembly line, but won't start. Guy pops the hood, hits motor with a big hammer, and away they go !. I suspect GM quality control was similar in '40s' | | |
| |
| |