Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,337 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#94837 02/27/2006 9:45 AM | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 38 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 38 | I have a 61' C-20 and I recently replaced my orginal blower motor with a new one from Autozone, bolted right in, no problem, I wired it correctly and it works, but it seems like it barely runs fast enough to produce anything to come out of the vents below or the defrost to the windshield. I have a two speed switch, low & high I guess you could call them and my defrost lever. So my questions are:
- Can I increase the speed of the motor somehow to produce more "blowing"? Right now it is more like a faint breeze. The heat is good, but hardly any output.
- Are there additional parts and/or pieces that I should be thinking of replacing too?
Thanks.
"Remember Who You Are And What You Represent"
"Being responsible sometimes means [censored] people off" - General Colin Powell
| | |
#94838 02/27/2006 11:43 AM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 | Your motor may be fine, but if you have bad air flow, check for dirt in the heater core, or small aminal nest in the duct work.
Do you have the under dash heater of the unit under the hood? | | |
#94839 02/27/2006 3:37 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 | Jolly,
Thanks for the reply. I have the under the dash unit. The hoses seem to be in good working order. Before the winter, I flushed the radiator and cleaned out most of the mess there, but I didn't think to look at the heater core. Is this a relatively easy process or should I take it in and have it looked at? I can tear anything apart, it's putting it back together....correctly that gives me the most problems.
Thanks.
-Will | | |
#94840 02/27/2006 3:46 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | 6 or 12 volt? is there a hidden resistor somewhere? just my .02
I saw this and ... http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001920
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | |
#94841 02/27/2006 3:58 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 | Jim,
It's a 12 volt. I found where the resistor sits inside, and yeah, it's a fun one to pull out and put back in. It seems to be working fine, it gets nice and toasty down there, but it the heat just "hovers" inside the unit instead of warming up the cab. It sucks cause it's pretty chilly out this time of year out here in Chicago. I hear the fan going, but there just isn't much output as far as it is concerned. I wonder if the blower motor is not getting enough juice. I tested it when I bought it and it was getting 12volts. It was suggested from my neighbor that I may have put the fan wheel on backwards, but I can't see any other way to put it in there without issues. I put it back the same way I found it, the blower motor should be sitting "inside" the wheel correct? | | |
#94842 02/27/2006 4:56 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 | OK, The heater you have works OK in places like California & Arizona, but may not be up to the game in Chicago, You need the under hood Heavy Duty unit.
What I was talking about for flow is Air flow through the heater core, make sure it not pluged off with dirt & lint. I don't thing you can get the blower fan on backwards.
Do you have a volt meter, if so you can chek the power input of the heater on high and see if it gets 12 volts. If all this checks out, then it's time to check water flow through the core. | | |
#94843 02/27/2006 4:57 PM | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | The squirrel cage opening faces out from the fan motor shaft. In other words, when the motor is installed and the shaft is facing up, the opening in the squirrel cage is facing up also. This may explain the lack of air flow, whereas the squirrel cage may be spinning in reverse. I hope this helps. Additionally, perhaps the polarity is reversed, if that is possible with the motor wiring setup. | | |
#94844 02/27/2006 11:57 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Run a jumper test wire from the battery to the motor term. See if the motor speeds up. If not then it may be like 66 posted. It may be going the wrong way. Some motors are reversable by changing wireing but most are made for only one direction. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |