The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ponchogl), 115 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,506
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
Cosmo;

Sent you a PM. I need pictures.


Thanks

Larry
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
question I'd have is why you'd want to use overdrive in any other than 3rd gear?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The only time I go into overdrive in second is if I am driving short stretches below 40 mph, such as a short stretch in town between the highway into and the highway out of town or on the mile up hill on the country lane going to the house. On the highway I never go into OD until I hit cruising speed in third. If I'm doing sustained driving in the city or out cruising county roads I disable OD with the cable.

If you are in second OD there is no need to come out of OD to go to third.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
Driving report:

After I topped off the trans with 50 weight motor oil like Charlie said to I went out for a deliberate test drive.

I find that it would be nice to be able to go into 3rd under during acceleration. It's nice to have 2nd over for building speed but the jump between 2nd over and 3rd over is too high to be convenient. I'd like to be able to go from 2nd over to 3rd under. I'll see what Cosmo has for recommendations/pictures for the switch setup.

The only issue that I see right now is that I don't seem to get the free wheel function at speed when the overdrive is engaged. With the OD in the on position and I'm driving in 1st gear the free wheel works. If I let off the gas is just coasts at idle. When I get into 2nd or 3rd with the overdrive engaged the free wheel doesn't work. Going down hill the truck will roll along but the RPMs stay steady at speed. I thought they would drop to idle until I got back in the gas to pick up speed again. Is this normal or a problem. It doesn't really affect the driveability, its just a feature that I thought would work.

Anyway, very happy with the set up. Makes for an entirely different driving experience. Lots of fun.


Thanks

Larry
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Sounds like it's working normally. The freewheel function only works at speeds under 28 mph, which is the speed that the governor makes/breaks contact. That is also why the overdrive will not engage in first gear, you have to be going over 28 mph to engage the overdrive.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Like Bill just said, freewheel does not work when in OD only direct.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
Gentlemen;

Hooah. Thanks. I guess I misread the literature.

I'll close out this thread.

Thanks for all the help.


Thanks

Larry
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
Follow up post.

Based on some advice from Cosmo, I decided to install a toggle switch for the trans. I left the dash mounted kickdown switch in place so that I could punch that to temporarily downshift when driving on the highway and going up a big hill. I like the idea of a one-time downshift and then going back into overdrive.

With the toggle switch, I can deactivate the overdrive function without having to push the cable in. It's a pain to push the cable in and out.

I went out for a test drive and it works great. One interesting thing is that with the cable in the overdrive position and the toggle switch turned off, the freewheel function works in all three gears regardless of speed. That is cool for when I get into town and want to disable the overdrive. Its kind of the best of both worlds.



Thanks

Larry
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0