| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,261 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 31 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2012 Posts: 31 | I want to change from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system and I am not sure of what all I have to change to make this happen and keep everything working? Can someone help? THANKS | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | all kinds of useful info in the tech tips, like thisBill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I want to change from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system... Why? A lot of people do that thinking they'll get a "more reliable" vehicle. Unless you're wanting to run a bazillion watt stereo a properly maintained 6v system will work really well. If you really want to spend the money take Bill's link.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | im with tiny. the looks i get when i tell someone all my trucks are still six volt. good grounds and the proper size wire for the circuit. Unless you're wanting to run a bazillion watt stereo a properly maintained 6v system will work really well i run that bazillion watt stereo in my 40 to drown out the engine noise at cruising altitude with six volts. i run a six to twelve booster  what, huh i cant hear you  . | | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 31 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2012 Posts: 31 | I like the link thanks. I think I kinda messed a couple things up when I first jump started it. THATS RIGHT LET ME HEAR IT.... 6 VOLT BATTERY 12VOLT JUMP START.....Starts a runs well but no head lights or anything. I think I burned up the switch because I can jump it out and turn the lights on. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | 6 or 12V the headlite switch is the same, but there are circuit breakers on the switch that may open if the 6V bulbs are drawing too much current .... and jumping a 6V with 12V won't kill anything if the generator is still 6V and you don't leave the 12V battery connected a long time, might burn out some bulbs tho
Bill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 190 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 190 | As far as the starter and generator are concerned you can leave the starter alone for now, worry about any upgrades etc. to it later. The generator is a little different. I dont see where you stated the year so If your using the generator out of the 40s and early 50s with the snap on cover band then the armature will need to be changed along with later model field coils and pole shoes as aftermarket never made a direct conversion for that coil. If your using the first series of closed "step down" case with no cover band then you swap out coils and armature. Of course you will need a 12 volt regulator to match. All this can be done and you still keep your original appearance. PM me if you need more info. Ken
| | |
| |
| |