The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, cmayna, JW51, BC59, Forty9), 108 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,457
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#945444 05/24/2013 7:20 AM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
My rebuild is now at the point where I am overhauling the head.

The manual says to press out the valve guides... but what is a good way to get at the angled guides? I have a 10 ton H frame press (harbor freight) but I can't figure a good way to angle the head with enough confidence to press out (and then back in) a valve guide.

Any tips?


Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
I just used a big hammer , also a drift made to fit into the guide and stepped to fit the Outside dia.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
I did the first one that way... I used a grade 8 bolt with two nuts ground down. It worked, but seemed to be very, very tight compared to the L134 motor I rebuilt last year.... so I stopped, read the manual, and it said press them out.

For $16 I can get a purpose built driver for an air hammer, and $44 for a reamer. Since I have another, early (pre-55) 235 and a 270 motor on the list I may spring for the tools... just to speed things up.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0