The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 186 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
I was just changing gears as I went around a circle. Was trying to drop back into 1st and could not shift. Made it home and opened the gearshift housing and the shifter gates were not aligned. Need to zoom in to see the issue.

Shifter gates mis-aligned

I got them aligned and saw that the space between the r /1 swivel and the 2/3 swivel were perhaps too far apart. I opened the clamps on the shifter rod under the dash and spread them so the rod was longer and the swivels were closer.

Is there anything else I should do to prevent this in the future? What should the space be between the two swivels?

Last edited by Ritchie 54; 05/10/2013 7:31 PM.

Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
how can we see anything in that munge? 1st thing you should do is clean out the box and re-grease it with a small amount of grease around the forks and pawl, as much as is in yours hampers free correct movement and when it heats up can leak out the bottom .... there should be nearly enough space between the forks that the pawl can not quite fit between them - the inside corners of the forks should be quite square, not worn round .... see here, and a few pics previous in that album

you could have just pulled over when it jammed and [on level ground], reached under the hood and wiggled the arms from the box and got it back in neutral .... I believe the clamp on the rod that you moved, should have notches the bolts fit into, if you "lengthened" the rod, you don't have a bolt in a notch, so at some point the rod can slip in the clamp, up/down or turn, and give even more grief than you had before

what you should do to prevent it in the future is learn how to run the lever in a good H pattern rather than slopping the corners, especially on a quick downshift [you are double clutching to pull it in first I hope] .... this has been a known problem since the trucks were new, probably 99% of the trucks represented here have had the shifter jam at least once wink

Bill



Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 235
Great advice and much apprecaited, although I have to look up what "munge" is. smile If the housing is like everythig else on my truck that amount of grease came from the factory in 54.

Nothing like a problem to help you learn more about your truck. I'll know what to do next time, but glad I took the housing apart to understand how the shifter works.

I'll keep an eye on the rod and ensure I did not move it off the notch.

Thanks again!


Bob

1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1954 5-Window COE aka "THE BEAST"
Bill Ritchie's Original Truck

Granddad's Hardware Store: Ritchie Hardware, Concord, N.C.
Bethesda, MD

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0