| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (wilbur53, 2 invisible),
71
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,572 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 | I got a front 8 lug brake drum that fractured in half when I tried to free the frozen brakes. Sources for replacements? change backing plates to go to 6 lug?
I got a replacement 8 lug from billy on here buts not a match. Mines a 3/4 ton perhaps hos came off a 1 ton?
Talked to jim carter and he said those drums are rare. gave me a number to call on a guy that might have something but no luck getting an answer.
Cam I change my backing plates use a 1/2 ton setup? Reach for ideas or suggestions here?
Takes for your time Dean
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup 1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | The entire axle from a 1/2 ton will fit, but then you will have 6 hole in front and 8 hole in back. What year model do you have? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 | 1946 3600 3/4t pu. Thanks for the reply
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup 1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
| | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 112 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 112 | -Dear Dino, Long time Ago I bought the two front drum . I pay too much for them because they are really NOS in the original box; but my sorprise was when I open the box. They are for the front wheels not the rear!!!! right now still in the box. I don´t know if the 1947-1952 fronts drums are the same for the 1946? For other side, I´m from Costa Rica and the shipping cost to send back to USA is expensive. The drums number is 602432 Tell me If we can trade something, Alfonso | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Alfonso, when you paste text into the box here from another app, you need to change the drop menu below the text box to "Using HTML & UBBCode" -Dear Dino, Long time Ago I bought the two front drum . I pay too much for them because they are really NOS in the original box; but my sorprise was when I open the box. They are for the front wheels not the rear!!!! right now still in the box. I don´t know if the 1947-1952 fronts drums are the same for the 1946? For other side, I´m from Costa Rica and the shipping cost to send back to USA is expensive. The drums number is 602432 Tell me If we can trade something, Alfonso | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Is it possible to use an axle or all the hardware from the backing plates out from a TF 3/4 Ton? Those drums are still available, are they not? My next suggestion would be to use an 8 to 5 bolt adapter in the rear and a 1/2 Ton axle in the front. This brake drum problem with the older 8 lug trucks is a real problem.
Last edited by truckernix; 05/11/2013 4:30 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 18 | Dean, I'm probably way too late, but what did you decide to do? The 1946 3/4 ton front brake drum (8 lug x 11 inch shoe) was a one year only. My son has a 1946 3/4 ton as well, so we have already done a lot of research here. Let me know if you need further assistance. Kenneth | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 | I bought a couple drums in a shotgun approach to solve my problem then got a local welder to try and at least weld together to hold the parts on. NOT FOR DRIVING OR ANYTHING BEYOND ROLLING IT AROUND THE SHOP. I know I its not a solution. Meanwhile I found a 38 and it has moved to the top of my interest list. This truck is in the garage of the video of me starting the 216 on the 38, I'm open to solutions and will pm the guys above about the suggestions they made. Or feel free to email me directly [email protected]
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup 1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 87 | There a salvage yard with 47-54 stuff that I had thought about just replacing all the suspension. Front and rear axle with six lug. Then I can buy the disk brake conversion if not just just the six lug r e stored mechanical brakes
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup 1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup 1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
| | |
| |
| |