Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (baldeagle, Southerntruck, Hanks custodian, Woodcmiami, J Lucas, Rusty Shackleford, TooMany2count),
79
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,398 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#94031 12/23/2005 9:30 PM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 36 | Has anyone out there ever put an electircal fan in a 67-72 chevy truck. I have 73 caddy 4 core radiator and an electical fan mounted inside a 2wd shroud with no manual fan. The truck ran fine w/o a plow but with plowing yesterday she ran warmer than I would like. Should I run a pusher fan on the front of the radiator as well. My question is should a 4 core adequatly cool the truck in extreme work condition or is my electrical fan just not keeping up. The fans out of a 90 Seville, i'm not sure of the cfm but it is approximatley 2 feet across the blades and mounted flush to the radiato. thanks for any and all help on this not so serious of a problem as my last one with the charging system.
Because of God's Grace, Ranger Ric Micah 6:8 Remember if you are driving one of those other things.....stop it! visit our homepage for pictures of my trucks and our dogs. http://www.rainydaysmastiffs.com | | |
#94032 12/23/2005 9:51 PM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 147 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 147 | I have both electric and manual fan. When I get in traffic with the air on in the summer. I need to kick on the elec one. Helps a lot. | | |
#94033 12/23/2005 9:58 PM | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I put a Walker Z-Cool radiator in mine with a 16" electric fan ... I can't imagine it getting hot now under any circumstances! See Here Also, wiring it with double relays and a fusible link, instead of a circuit breaker, made a huge difference! Here\'s How
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | |
#94034 12/24/2005 1:28 AM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Originally posted by horvath:
Also, wiring it with double relays and a fusible link, instead of a circuit breaker, made a huge difference! [b]Here\'s How [/b] I'm not sure why you would want to use two of those small wimpy relays. I've seen too many of those things cook! Why not a big one that will handle the full load?? The web site says you can't readily find those bigger relays at a local parts store??? That's gonna be bad news for those Ford guys when they want to replace the starter relays in their old Fords! Guess you just gotta know where to look!! | | |
#94035 12/24/2005 1:39 AM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Originally posted by Ranger Ric: Has anyone out there ever put an electircal fan in a 67-72 chevy truck. I have 73 caddy 4 core radiator and an electical fan mounted inside a 2wd shroud with no manual fan. The truck ran fine w/o a plow but with plowing yesterday she ran warmer than I would like. Should I run a pusher fan on the front of the radiator as well. My question is should a 4 core adequatly cool the truck in extreme work condition or is my electrical fan just not keeping up. The fans out of a 90 Seville, i'm not sure of the cfm but it is approximatley 2 feet across the blades and mounted flush to the radiato. thanks for any and all help on this not so serious of a problem as my last one with the charging system. Is everything else working properly?? Water pump providing flow? Thermostat holding fluid in the radiator long enough for the radiator to do it's job? Antifreeze won't cool if it doesn't stay in the radiator long enough. Fan probably shouldn't be flush. All aftermarket fans I have bought have recommended a gap between the fan and the radiator. No slug or port blockage? Radiator fins are clean so air can pass through it? | | |
#94036 12/24/2005 2:17 AM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Ranger,
The harder the engine works, the hotter it gets..that physics for you. My question would be what is too hot? If the truck gets hot, but cools down immediately, that seems like it would be ok. Would it be possible to lower the "turn-on" temp of the electric fan. You might be able to keep the system from heating up if you could start the cooling process earlier.
The plow itself or piled snow isn't blocking the flow of air to the front of the rig is it?
Stuart | | |
#94037 12/24/2005 8:39 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 36 | The fanis not flush as I stated there is a gap of about1/2 and 3/4". I am running it through a relay. The fins are clean, snow is not blocking the air flow although i am relying on the electric fan due to the speed of the vehicle. I am plowing my park and not traveling fast. I am not sure about the thermostat as it is new but you know how that goes, new hoses and water pump and heater core. The start temp on the fan switch is 175 degrees. I am thinking the rad needs cleaned as I got this used and is the only part I have not recently put in. Caddy's used to pull trailers before trucks were popular so i think the 4 core should handle the job. more later....
Because of God's Grace, Ranger Ric Micah 6:8 Remember if you are driving one of those other things.....stop it! visit our homepage for pictures of my trucks and our dogs. http://www.rainydaysmastiffs.com | | |
#94038 12/25/2005 9:19 AM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Originally posted by Ranger Ric: i'm not sure of the cfm but it is approximatley 2 feet across the blades and mounted flush to the radiato. What is your average / usual temp? What was your "warmer than I would like" temp? Might still be in range, might not. I'm not saying this is your case, but some folks get comfortable with the needle sitting in one place. If it bounces up to the higher range of normal, they think there is a problem. | | |
| |