The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, 50Chevy3100, RdsLessTaken, DadsFirstPickup, tclederman, 1 invisible), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#938347 04/24/2013 9:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Tried firing my 235 with points distributor today and I have good spark to my distrubutor and all plugs. However the engine just wont catch and fire. As far as I can tell, fuel is reaching the carb, I can at least see it in the filter and it pumps fuel through the hose when disconnected. This is the first I've really messed with an engine of this type (carberator and all) and I'm quite stumped. Any advice what to do and/or try next?

Schwin

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
What work has been done to the engine?
Just because it has spark does not mean it is in time/timed correctly.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
As far as I know there has been no work at all done to it other then stripped down, gaskets changed, and repainted (which I did all myself). It was running great 2 years ago (so I was told) and was placed in a shed. If it is timing what do I need to do to get'r straightened back out?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Was the distributor taken out of the block and then put back into the block?

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 74
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 74
Fuel is getting TO the carb, but is it getting IN the carb? Could be a stuck float? Can you see fuel squirting into the carb when pumping the accelerator? Did you try pouring a little fuel into the carb and seeing if the truck fires?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
i had an issue not long ago where my dump was getting harder and harder to start which i just written it off as be flooded because of how i was using the truck. after checking things over to the point of removing my valve cover for a look see. i noticed my dist. had turned and it turned to the point where it it wouldnt start. i turned it back to where i thought it should be and it did fire but not running smooth. retimed and really tightened clamp screw and now it starts like its designed to. what caught my eye to the problem is that my cap spring clips werent in line with the engine.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
The distrubuter was taken out of the block and put back in. However, I pulled it out and rotated it 180 degrees and it still seemed to make no difference. I wonder if its not like dh53 said. I think I will try that this afternoon maybe and see if it makes any difference. How important is compression? Does that have to be a specific psi?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0