Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (TS3600, cmayna, Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny, TexasJim50, klhansen, Shaffer's1950, Oswald),
56
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,077 Posts1,056,281 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 | So, I ordered new brake drums for a 1950 1/2 ton 3100 and they are real shiny and wonderful. Problem is, the old ones have the part with the bearings in it and lug bolts and it has told me that, after 63 years, it does NOT want to come off.
How do you get that #$%* apart to go on the new brake drum? Heat and hammer?
Thanks in advance. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Are you trying to remove the drum from backing plate
Or remove the hub from the drum Sometimes the hubs are riveted
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 | Thanks. I got the drum off the backing plate. Trying to get the hub off the drum. She don't wanna come off... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Ok, unless I missunderstand you, it sounds like you are working on the front drum? And who ever you got the brake drum from sold you the brake drum only. Back in the day they would have been avalable with or with out a new hub. You will have to get the lug nuts pressed out then have new ones pressed in at an autoparts with a machine shop. Then a light cut taken on the new drum to true it up.
Denny G
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | You can hammer the lugs out of the drum/hub assembly by using an old lug nut to protect the lug. I suggest supporting the backside of the hub with a suitable deep socket so you don't put stress on the hub. If you are careful, you wont damage a lug. the lugs can then be pulled back in with a well greased lug nut (use a washer under the nut while pulling the lug back into the hub).
With that said, using a press is the best approach. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 | Appreciate the advice. I wish they came with new hubs! These are off the back wheels. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Whole different ball game guy. They should just pull off the studs in the axle. Try a little heat. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 04/24/2013 8:17 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Whole different ball game guy. They should just pull off the studs in the axle. Try a little heat. DG And a bigger hammer. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | "Ding ding ding" until you hear the tone change. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 | This is the drum in which I'm trying to remove the hub. Brake drum | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | That my friend is the front of the truck. And again, save your self a bunch of agravation and take them to an automotive machine shop and have them press the old lug bolts out and the new ones in, then true up the drum.
Denny G
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 | Thank you! My goodness, it would help if I knew the front from the back on this project. The expertise on this forum is invaluable. That would be pretty embarrassing driving down the road backward when I finish. I'd have to mount the rear view mirror on the other side of the cab. Great advice. Will take it to a shop. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | No sweat, we'll get ya headed in the right direction if ya stick with us long enough. I see your a airman, now back in the day I used to confuse them by flying my Pitts backwards, just for a split second though, when I performed the dreaded Lumshevak. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/flying_machine&page=all But back to your project. Looked at the picture of your frame, looks like it’s shaping up real nice. I envy you, I’ve been to busy driving mine ’50 for the last eight years and just can’t get up the nerve to pull the cab off n’ her. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 04/25/2013 6:50 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 33 | SWEET airplane. I'm more of a Skylane/Bonanza hack myself but flying is an addicting activity. Love being twenty minutes from Sporty's...
I was able to hammer the lugs out tonight and am now cleaning up the hubs. I used the Eastwood system (pre, rust converter, rust encapsulator, extreme chassis black) on the rusty axle and the thing looks brand new now - very happy with it. | | |
| |