The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian, Gdads51, BC59, Cletus1950, cmayna, 3800GUY), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,253
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#937634 04/22/2013 1:32 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
I'm working on a 1950 3600 that is very tired. I want to update the brakes to Bendix, and picked up some '53 3/4 ton axles. The '53 front has new kingpins, but the rear doesn't look like anything special. Should I just swap the backing plates outward? Or should I swap in the whole axles? Will I run into any issues swapping the whole axles? I also can't find any tapered wheel bearing conversions for this, do they exist? Last question (for now), are there any write-ups out there for updating steering/tie rods? I would like to do the modern ball joint conversion as well. Thanks, Ken

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
I tried searching, but I didn't see anyone swapping in the entire front axle. I also don't know much about upgrading the steering compenents. I would like it to handle the best it can with the original front axle (modern tie rod ends, changing any geometry, larger tie rod, wheel bearings, and a sway bar). If there are any step-by-steps or how-tos I'd be interested.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy playinsafe44, could you tell us the year of the truck you're asking about please.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
I am working on an original 1950 Chevy 3600. I have a 1953 Chevy 3600 front (new kingpins) and rear axle.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy playinsafe44, as far as I know the axles should be a bolt in swap. I don't think there was a sway bar for a 3600, but that doesn't mean that one couldn't be adapted. There should be some threads on here about converting to "modern" tie rod ends, hope that helps.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
You can swap the spindles out, but I believe it's easier to just swap the backing plates and drums.

As far as roller bearings go, if your are sticking with drum brakes, the oem ball bearings are fine. I bought a set of MBS Rollers from Chev's of the 40's a few years ago. I'm not sure if they handle them anymore though.

My bearings: http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/w...&_suid=13668427020380552488455113892

The 1/2 ton sway bar is a direct fit for the 3/4 tons also.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
i'm thinking about swaping my front axle for a independant set up from a newer 1-ton van. it's 8 lug and should be the correct bolt pattern if before 1999. i have read that it will bolt right in if you narrow it about 1.5-2 inches. you then need to mount the steering box onto the frame. i'm not sure yet about upgrading the rear brakes. i'd like to keep the origional 8 lug rear and upgrade to newer self adjusting brakes but i'm still researching this change.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0