Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,720 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 | So I bought a early 47 off the 2nd owner that parked it in a garage in 1966 and never moved it again. The son of the owner showed me the truck and I couldn't believe the condItion it was in, and all the options it had on. So I bought it for a project for me and my son for his first car. After I got home and started looking at pics of similar trucks I noticed that the fenders wer different and the spare was on the side. I am pretty sure its a 1953(54/55) bed that is in great condition with only a little rust behind the spare i am thinking about selling it to put the original style back on it. Any idea what I should sell it for? It also has a custom fiberglass bed cover that was made in the early 60's. photobucket.com/user/Sparky32474/library After a couple bolters looked at it they said it looked like a 54-55.
Last edited by early47chevy; 04/17/2013 8:24 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 | I added mor photos of the bed. Anyone know what I should ask for it. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | Go to a vender's site check the individual price of the pieces and go from there. Are the originals stripped? if no, ask less cause no one's going to trust what's below old paint over a new panel. Check the swap and wanted sites for comparable prices, then figure out how long you can hold onto the bed before it moves. Need it out the door or can you wait a few years?
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 | This is a OEM bed, fenders and tailgate put on this truck before 1962 when the 2nd owner bought it.
Last edited by early47chevy; 04/17/2013 12:01 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | So that makes it worth more than replacement parts? My point was get an idea of what they are running NOW for new and used and plan accordingly. They are never going to be "original" to anything besides what they came off back before '62', so they are by your own reporting 'replacement panels' probably from a wreck back in the day... How much for panels from a wrecking yard?
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 | I was told if this is a 54 bed it is even more rare. How can I tell if it is?
photobucket.com/user/Sparky32474/library | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | That does appear to be a 54-55 bed. I've seen those trucks with those style fenders too often and in my opinion it just doesn't look right. I don't blame you for wanting to change. Rear fenders for these trucks can be hard to come by though, unless you're fine with fiberglass.
Checking the price of the individual pieces from a vendor isn't the best indication of the resale value of a used box. I've seen a box with fenders for sale for $600 up to $2000, depending on the condition.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 | Thanks for the help. My 14 year old agrees this truck is for him. He is cool with fiberglass,and he is leaning to a street rod look for the truck since its not all original. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 | I thought about just buying the fenders and seeing if I can make them fit this bed. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | | | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 | Well,I called the previous owner and he was glad to talk my ear off about it. I should have talked to him and not his son before hand. He told me when he bought it in 62 it had a camper on it,and the first owner put this bed on it so he could have his spare tire and pull his fishing boat "notice the home made hitch welded to the frame and bumper" .He told me he and his wife had camped with it for a couple years and that's why he added the LP tank holder. After about 3 they had their 2nd child and quit using the camper and sold it. He and a neighbor made the cover sometime between 65 and 66 and then parked the truck in 67. He said they had a picture with the camper on it that I can have. I hope to have that posted soon.
Last edited by early47chevy; 04/17/2013 1:14 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 277 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 277 | I paid $800 for a 54 box and tailgate ( no fenders or wood but the cross sills were there).
It came from Arizona and was about as perfect as you could get (this was about two years ago)
Hope that helps
Joe
1955 First Series 3100
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 19 | Thanks Joe. I am going to sell it all the way down to the spare tire as it sits on the truck. I will look into having it blasted if it will help it sell. | | |
| |