| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,077 Posts1,056,280 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 165 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 165 | I have order the window felt kit from classic parts to put my new glass in that is being cut locally. My question is about the "Glass Setting tape" is this actually a gasket material or a tape? when i removed the frame from the glass it appeared to be more dried out rubber than a tape? Has anyone not used the tape and just used silicone instead? thanks Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 133 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 133 | I took my vent window to a glass shop and had them fit the glass in the frame with urethane they use, looked perfect. I had one heck of a time with the tape and yes, I tried more then one thickness, had trouble with all.
If you never tell a lie, you never need to remember what you said.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 290 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 290 | Ditto, I used the urethane as well. The tape wouldn't hold the glass, so every time you went to roll the window down it would pop out of the regulator. I wouldn't waste my time with the tape in the future as well.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | I had no problem with the tape. By the way, they sell the tape in different thicknesses. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | The tape is a rubberized product. It should be a tight fit. You use oil during (to ease) installation so that the tape swells (due to the oil) and locks the glass in place. Then, if the glass is broken in the future, gasoline or similar solvent will attack the rubber tape and cause it to let go of its hold. If you use glue/sealant, clean-up to replace the glass will be difficult and time consuming. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 698 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 698 | And make sure you roll the window up all the way so it seats the glass/rubber in the channel and leave it rolled up while the rubber expands and sets.
My Fleet: 19411953195919651966 1953 Willy's Pickup John Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 165 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 165 | Excellent, thank you. I was hoping to do it this weekend but tape wont arrive till monday. I scored a piece of Textured Black ABS plastic for $10 yesterday so I will be making some door panels this weekend. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 165 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 165 | How long until it is set and i can trim the rubber and clean it, took me about and hour last night to get both windows done. I had two loose spots that i trimmed some extra tape and slipped it in to double up seems to have filled the gap nicely. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 165 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 165 | thanks for the tip it worked out real well. Cleaned them up ready to install. Steve | | |
| |
| |