| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,344 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 45 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 45 | When I bought my 55.2 3600 the previous owner had the cluster out and the oil pressure line to the gauge kinked closed. Running the truck up onto the trailer and off into the shop oil was leaking quite a bit. The original oil pressure gauge is shot so I installed an aftermarket gauge, fitting on the head (235 6cyl) and oil line. I can't get an oil pressure reading although when I started the truck after changing the oil filter I didn't have the nut tight enough and made a hell of a mess. I'm wondering if possibly the aftermarket adapter at the head screws in too far?? I'm going to try to track down a gauge I can screw right into the head to test it and / or try an electronic gauge and sender. I'm going to adjust the valves so thought I'd run it for a minute to see for sure that I have oil up to the head. With the valve cover off there looks like plenty of oil was in there. Any input? Thanks
Last edited by DrDarby; 04/15/2013 11:50 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the gauge should be hooked to the same port the original was, on the side of the block, where one line of the filter is, using a T fitting, can't think where on the head you'd get a good oil pressure reading
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | the gauge should be hooked to the same port the original was, on the side of the block, where one line of the filter is, using a T fitting, can't think where on the head you'd get a good oil pressure reading
Bill An oil pressure line could be attached to the head on the distributor side (a cob-job installation): into the hole on the upper middle of the head - the hole that would normally have a square-headed plug in it (a hole into the oil-feeder journal that goes up to the rocker arms assembly). Most likely this would not be a "good reading", being near the "end of the line" of the lubrication system. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 45 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 45 | Yes the oil pressure line to the gauge was screwed into the head. Which oil filter line should I 'T' it off from. The one coming out of the rear of the block or the one more toward the center. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | The one toward the rear of the block (the input-line side of the oil filter).
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | What type of fitting are you using to attach the aftermarket line? The original may not be the same as your aftermarket.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 45 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 45 | Today I capped the oil pressure port at the head and tee'd the mechanical sender off off the oil line going into the filter. Presto oil pressure readings, a good ones too! | | |
| |
| |