| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,487 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 271 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 271 | Starting to clean up my bare frame tomorrow... This is my plan...
-power wash -scrape/wire brush - oven cleaner/degreaser -power wash - phosphoric acid/rust convert - power wash -rustoleum rusty metal primer. -rustoleum flat black no rust paint
Not looking for a show car (or the price associated) but want something presentable that isn't going to have rust peeking through before I even finish the truck!
One issue ill have is daylight because most of this stuff ill want to do outside and i normally only have wednesdays from about 4:30 till 9 or 10 to work on it.
| | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 271 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 271 | I was planning on using rustoleum rust reformer but found the msds and cant find any acid that would convert rust in it. it even has a black pigment added which seems misleading to me. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 188 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 188 | I did mine the hard way:
Wire brush, wire wheel on a drill, and finally a flapper disc on a 4 1/2 inch grinder. I was hitting it with some rattle can flat black. So far, so good after a year or so of sitting in the garage.
I'm positive that there are better methods than mine. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 10 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 698 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 698 | Once the frame is striped down we spray it down with degreaser and let it sit for a day. Then power wash at 4000 psi with a zero degree tip (makes one heck of a mess). Then let dry for a day and follow with rustolium rusty metal primer dry for a day, followed by a sandable primer, dry for a day, followed by gloss enamal.
My Fleet: 19411953195919651966 1953 Willy's Pickup John Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 150 | I sent mine to the local powder coater. $400 and it was blasted and coated gloss black. Sure came out looking good. | | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 271 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 271 | John, I'm probably going to follow something just about like that. Baba- I'd consider powder coat but I want something i can grind/weld and touch up easily.
Worked on cutting out more junk and rusted bolts tonight. Probably wire brush/power wash and degrease next week. Maybe brush then degrease and then power was off the cleaner? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | I power wash mine than get them blasted 150.00 than paint with chassis saver primer and than top coat with chassis saver black.
Pete | | |
| |
| |