Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 | :confused: Is there a difference between the fuel line size (between the fuel pump and carburetor) for the 48 and 49 Carter W1 carburetor?
Winona 1949 3100 5 Window Deluxe Cab
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 208 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 208 | 49er, what's the problem? I'm not sure about the size of the lines but I have a feeling you've got the line going up to the carb & it's too small to connect. The W-1 on my '46 has a reducer fitting on the inlet of the carb to reduce the size to the same size of the fuel line to make the connection. I think the fuel lines are the same size, though, as I've swapped carbs and other parts on '47 to '54's in the past & I don't remember any difference in the lines, but I could be wrong and who know what a previous owner could have done. Jacques
Union, Justice and Confidence
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | 5/16 was the standard size fuel line on these trucks.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 | Swampcat, the lines larger than the carb fitting. I had a Rochester B and a W1 and decided to go with the W1, but the line was too big for the carb fitting.
Winona 1949 3100 5 Window Deluxe Cab
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 | Perhaps what I should have asked, is whether there is a difference in the fuel line inlet on the 48 and 49 W1 carb.
Winona 1949 3100 5 Window Deluxe Cab
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | Winona I do not believe the 49s came with Carters, and since both mine and yours came with Rochesters, that pretty much proves it, along with information from the Master Parts Catalog. But as you can see, Carters fit just fine, I also made the change from the leaky old Rochester. I got fuel line from Jim Carter I believe it was, and had no problem with fit. It is 3/8 inch diameter I believe. | | |
#9337 08/15/2004 11:07 PM | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 117 | Brian, Carter's catalog lists the Carter W1 for 40-48 with one part number, and one for the 49 only with a different part number. I ordered the one for the 49 and, according to the paperwork, received the one for the 40-48. Sooooooooooo, I really don't know what I have. Everything fits except the fuel line, which is too big, so I was thinking (silly me) that there was difference in the 48 and 49 somehow.
Winona 1949 3100 5 Window Deluxe Cab
| | |
#9338 08/16/2004 12:55 AM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | If you have a fitting that fits the fuel line, take that and either your carb or the fitting off of it to a mom & pop parts store. They should be able to come up with an adapter.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 | The 49's used the last version of the W-1 which had a fast idle linkage combined with the choke linkage, similiar to the linkage on a YF. | | |
| |