The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, 49choptop, 3800GUY, Shade Baby), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#930083 03/24/2013 11:50 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 26
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 26
I have a 53 1/2 ton and am doing a rebuild for a safe driver around town. Anyone have any Maaco experience?

Scott60 #930101 03/24/2013 12:34 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 177
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 177
I got a Maaco paint job on my first car, a 17 year old Honda Accord.

Outside of that any body/paint work has been done by the same local shop.

Some of the stories I hear about Maaco are in regards to the honoring warranty they offer. It is typically just a manufacturer's warranty so if you have a problem they will send you to the paint manufacturer. Manufacturer will claim it was a prep problem... and you can see where this is going.

If you get someone that does quality work and knows what they are doing it could be fine, you typically get what you pay for though.

Last edited by Redlegs48; 03/24/2013 2:32 PM.
Scott60 #930140 03/24/2013 3:16 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Laying paint on a car isn't magic, guys that do it all day long
can lay a decent layer of paint on with no problems. That's 5%
of the complete paint job.
If you do all the prep work and bring them a body ready for
paint you can get a good looking paint job cheaper than you can
buy the paint to do it your self. The fault lies in them not
putting a lot of time in on the prep work. Earl Schibe was the
same deal. We preped a '52 once and had them shoot it for
$29.95. Looked real good.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Scott60 #930145 03/24/2013 3:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The only good attributes of Earl Scheib and his company's paint jobs was that they were fast and he/they were cheap. It is hard to believe that the company still had shops in 2010.

$29.95 in the $1960s

There was one in Richmond, VA, and, as you posted, Denny, if you prepped the vehicle well, the paint job was not bad.

Scott60 #930156 03/24/2013 4:02 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep, bout 1959 when I was a Sr. in high school was the time of
that paint job. I saw other jobs that they had done and for
$29.95 they wiped the car down with wax and grease remover and
layed the paint on it, no sanding at all. You needed to mask
the trim your self because they did a real quick making job
that basicly just kept it off the glass. And that was were the
bad wrap came from with Earl Scheib (spelled it right this time.)

Didn't know there were still shops around, the local one here
closed twenty or thirty years ago.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Scott60 #930212 03/24/2013 7:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
It's important to do good prep work yourself because based on a bad roof job they did on my Jeep I wouldn't recommend them. Told me they removed rust,acid washed and neutralized it before priming and painting. Terrible job. Peeled and showed rust in less than a year AND would not stand by warrenty without me paying additional cost. Skip them unless cheaper is all you want.


Drew
Scott60 #930469 03/25/2013 5:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
There's a Maaco only a couple blocks from my work so I investigated bringing my well prepped truck. Problem was they would ONLY spray thier own house brand paint without exception.



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Scott60 #930744 03/26/2013 5:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 603
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 603
In the 70's I had a pickup with a white bed and red cab. I had Maaco paint the whole thing. It was just an off road 4x4.
Knowing what paint materials cost, I don't see how they can do it for the price. Mine stayed on for years and looked good.
As others have said, they don't do much body work, but for the money, the paint spraying ain't bad.
Of course your not going to get a "show" job, but pretty decent.


57 GMC LCF 370
55 John Deere 40-W
59 John Deere 430-W
2000 GMC 4x4
56 John Deere 420-W
Pix on Photobucket
Scott60 #931034 03/27/2013 7:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
At Maaco, it is what it is. You will get what you pay for.

Scott60 #931215 03/28/2013 3:49 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
I had a buddy that worked at Maaco as a painter for several years. He always said the key to a good paint job is the prep. They would have guys that would simply come in and want their car scuffed and painted, and others that wanted lots of body word and paint. If you want a cheap paint job, they'll give it to you, if you want a good paint job, they'll give it to you. It all depends on what you want to pay.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Scott60 #931752 03/30/2013 7:49 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I had two painted a yrs ago, one was the 70 international
some 25 yrs ago, the paint is still good on the truck, I sold it to my neighbor last yr, just the other day we were talking about
how white the paint still is... they do a good job for the 300 or $400 bucks.. they wanted to charge extra for door jams and such, I did that myself, and they make a lot extra by doing body work.. I told th em just to paint it.. I was happy with it


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Scott60 #932590 04/03/2013 6:19 AM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
So what brand of paint do they use? Is it only base clear?


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Scott60 #932602 04/03/2013 8:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
They now use an integrated clear, that is clear mixed into the base.
I had a quote a few weeks ago to paint my wife's 14 year old Toyota, was $950 without any body work.
It seemed they have lots of added charges now.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0