The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
When I drove it home, I could tell it had some extra rolling resistance. I got out and found the right front brake hub to be far hotter than the left. I thought it had a broken return spring and dragging shoes.
Saturday I jacked it up and to my surprise, I could turn the wheel/tire. It didn't seem to be very tight at all, but did have play in the hub. Seems to move inside only.
I tightened up the castle nut as much as I could, but something is wrong inside.
I read where someone wrote that these bearings need to be replaced as a pair. If so,why?
Are these bearings usually available at a local auto parts?
Truck is just yard driven for now, but I want to get it on the road soon.
Thanks


All you can do is all you can do.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy bozer, there are two different inner bearing possibilities for your truck, depending on whether or not your truck has a heavy duty axle or not. The heavy duty axle inner bearing is a tappered roller bearing, two piece unit, Napa p/ns are BR25583 $59.40, and BR25519 $28.35. The standard axle inner bearing is a ball bearing, Napa p/n BRG B46 $129.60, hope that helps.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Thanks 3B.
That will certainly help.
Bozer


All you can do is all you can do.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
You don't have to replace both inner and outer bearings, but I do since it just makes more sense to me. If one is worn, the other could be also, espescially if one is worn to the point of distributing metal shards or powder into the hub which can easily wear out a good bearing given time.

Replace as a unit and tear it apart only once.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
Get the specs. And ensure they are installed correctly. The old cup-and-cone bearings on my '47 1.5 ton need 33 ft-lb on them, then back off to first castellatiuon on the nut. So they run with a lot of preload.
I expect that tapered rollers will run with a small amount of play (ie do up until just starting to tighten by fingers, back off to first castellation).


'47 Canadian RHD 1.5 ton truck

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0