| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Jon G),
136
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,124 Posts1,056,334 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 50 | with a 1948 3/4 ton chevy truck with a rebuilt (30,000 miles ago)250 cu in chevy engine with standard 4spd tranny and 4.56 rear end , (rebuilt brakes, shocks and sway bar etc) and 16inch radials, what is the rpm that is safe to run. I have calculated that at 5o mph the rpm is 2556, at 55mph 2811rpm, at 60mph 3067 rpm and at 65mph 3322rpm (i don't have a tach). there is info on this forum regarding the 235 but not much on a 250. I don't think I want to change my driveline and know that mpg goes down as rpm increases. I get about 12 mpg at 50 t0 55 . I guess the question is whether it is a good idea to run it above 55mph for very long thanks for all the help | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | besides how much money you want to waste on gas, how fast you run it for how long is directly related to how long you want it to last .... I wouldn't call holding max RPM with any engine a "good idea"  Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Thats a tough engine if it was o-hauled good. High rpm wont hurt it if not tortured. Like Red says its not good to drive prolonged periods at high RPM. It will use a lot of gas. If you are going to be on the highway a lot I would look into an o-drive. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 50 | thanks
I agree with what you said, given that drive line what would you consider a high rpm?
thanks again | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | I'd say 2800-3000 is about as high as you'd want for extended periods, less would be better - with the 3/4T gearing, 50-55 is what I'd expect and what the truck was built for
Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 50 | thanks bill
that was what the truck was telling me too | | |
| |
| |