The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#911914 01/15/2013 11:00 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
I know the serial number will tell all and I should have that information tomorrow. I have very little experience (none) with the GM straight six but I think this looks like a high water pump. Can you spot anything amiss from this dark and crappy photo?

[img][IMG]http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a437/mendonjo/c3f8edef36687dc72fe40bfafed24e68.jpg[/IMG][/img]


1955 First Series 3100
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It looks correct to me!
Has the correct valve cover.
Looks like the side mount bosses are not drilled and threaded, so it looks like it is from a truck.
The number behind the distributor will confirm.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Looks like a '55 to me although mated to an earler style starter.


Drew
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Drew, that would be the correct foot starter for a '55 truck.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
How would you tell a 54 from a 55-1st truck engine without knowing the engine code?

One of the things "amiss" is the color. cool

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
looks like a pre- 55 2nd to me


1949 Dodge Coronet
1955 2nd Chevy 4400 1.5 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1957 Chevy 5400 LCF 2 ton
1966 Dodge D100 Sweptline
1968 Chevy P20 stepvan
1969 GMC LWB pickup
1972 GMC Sprint
1974 CP30 shorty bus

There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.----Linus Van Pelt
Trying to understand the behavior of some people is like trying to smell the color 9 big_eek



Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Orange????

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
After doing extensive research, it has been determined that a shade of orange/red was used on engines in the Baltimore truck assembly plant (in honor of the first year of the Orioles).

ohwell

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by tclederman
How would you tell a 54 from a 55-1st truck engine without knowing the engine code?
One of the things "amiss" is the color. cool

There is no difference between a 54 and a 55 1st series except the code next to the distributor.

Originally Posted by tclederman
After doing extensive research, it has been determined that a shade of orange/red was used on engines in the Baltimore truck assembly plant (in honor of the first year of the Orioles).
???
The engine has obviously been repainted.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Post the casting numbers so we can help.If it's all original from factory,I'll say 1954 235 .

The 1954 valve cover had the slot cutouts in the top of the cover.



Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Thank you, Dave

Tim, that valve cover has the 54/55-1st slots/slits in it. I have that style valve cover on my 1960 261, to make me feel better about putting that engine in my 1954 Suburban.

As you know and posted, if someone wants a definitive identification, casting codes and the engine ID/serial number is the best way to identify an engine's block and head.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
The engine number I got from the seller is

0151598F550

I cant figure out what the last digit means


1955 First Series 3100
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Might it be F55Q ?

That would be a 1955-1st 5000 series with a HD (261) engine

If you gave the head and block casting codes, they will help with the ID

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
I have asked the seller if the last digit is really a 0. I will call him this evening to get some casting numbers. I am guessing if it really is a 261 it's not something i would want to put in my truck.

Thanks Guys,

Joe


1955 First Series 3100
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Originally Posted by mendonjo
if it really is a 261 it's not something i would want to put in my truck.



Joe

Why not?

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Okay, let's try it again. This time with the last letter being a U

Joe


1955 First Series 3100
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
That would make it a 1955 1st series, 235 Thriftmaster with heavy duty clutch, 3100 (1/2 ton) truck.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
Sweet, that's what I want. Incidentally I just got a few more casting numbers

3835913 head
B34912 head
K104 block above the starter
3885911 block near the fuel pump

It seems the go to place for identifying an engine is the Old Car Manual project page but it doesn't list Q or U and the 54 I used to have ( I still miss that truck) ended in X and that's not listed their either. What am I missing?

Thank you very much to everyone that helped my through this purchase. I now have the engine and transmission I needed.

Joe


1955 First Series 3100
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
I can answer my own question now on the serial numbers, when you go the old car manual page there is a summary page that lists the engine serial numbers by year. Don't use that summary, go to the specific manual for your year and look up serial numbers. There will be a section on serial numbers that will include engines, transmissions and rear ends.


1955 First Series 3100
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
you mean this one
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/54057.htm

Also, recheck your block casting # should be 3835911.


-Tom

1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 277
I was thinking that Tom, the owner was using a flashlight in a dimly lit shed to read the numbers. Unfortunately I cannot get the engine until Easter time. I am working in Germany and won't be back in the States until then. Even then it's a six hour drive to get the motor and transmission.

So far my Chevrolet is really seeing the USA....truck from Arizona, box from California, and the engine from Virginia. Now I just need a few parts from Florida ( the driver is from Michigan) :-)


1955 First Series 3100
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
my book says block is a 1953-1955 PG
head 1954-57 235 small temp sender


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Tim, what book are you looking in?


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
That would make it a 1955 1st series, 235 Thriftmaster with heavy duty clutch, 3100 (1/2 ton) truck.

F55Q and F55U are 1st series 1955 truck engine codes (this is a large download). The two 1955 trucks specifications manuals are not on the Old Chevrolet Manuals website - they are available at the GM Heritage Center.

Tim,
Did you ID the engine based on casting codes or engine serial number?

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Tim,I didn't look at the engine serial number.

I looked at the casting numbers and referred to my inline 6 engines book.

MSA-1
Chevy
Inline 6 Engines 1929-1989
Factory Casting Number & Code Guide

Oltrucks on this site use to sell them,he still may.

Does the block have the captain bars on it ?


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Tim, one needs to be careful with most casting number compilation charts, most have many errors.
I prefer GM charts like the one the other Tim linked to above.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Tim,

If that is the small booklet that has GMC and Chevrolet codes in it, that little booket has more than a few conflicting/erroneous entries in it.

Do any of the Master Parts Books have head and block casting codes in them?

I have made a table of block/head casting casting codes gathered from various web sites, but there are conflicting and questionable entries.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I am interested in block and head casting codes. I think those codes are all engine serial numbers.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0