The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dennys28, Steelonsteel, Opelika Tom, Guitplayer, Ponchogl), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,401
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#902374 12/09/2012 6:17 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
Hey Guys

I was wondering if there is a tach-drive distributor I can use for a 261.

I was wanting to hook up a mechanical stewart warner tach. One of the old ones with round glass and 4.5k max rpm.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
are these the correct ones?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1326507,parttype,7108

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Both the distributors shown there are standard 235/261 distributors, not a tach drive type.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
The Corvette six cylinder had a tach drive distributor but is pricey I'm sure. I wonder if any of the big trucks had tachs in them?


Evan
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
I found this
http://gccorvettes.com/catalogs/53-55Catalog.pdf
wow, these are expensive.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Ouch.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
There used to be a Stewart Warner kit either with or without a shaft drive tach. We used them on our 261 equipped fire engines. All were an extension for the distributor shaft with another seal too. I'll bet there may still be something like that around. Try Jerry at the the Filling Station in Lebanon. OR.
Normbc9

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Every once in awhile I see an older style Mallory mechanical tach drive for inlines on ebay. Also pricey.


Drew

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0