The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (UtahYork, Mr Crosswrench, RLB, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,391
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 29
What is the secret of removing the lock from the glove box door on my '37 truck?

I have the door out, but can't get the nut on the lock mechanism past the lock post. Is there some release for the lock post that I am missing? I'd appreciate any help given.

CAB

Last edited by Woogeroo; 11/14/2012 6:00 AM. Reason: added year to topic
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
I think I recall the key is used to retract the lock post. It was a long time ago since I had that task. If I'm faulty in recollection, I'm sure someone will offer a correction. I didn't have they key for mine and the locksmith that up until then had been able to help with the other locks didn't have the "magic key" on his large key ring.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
I'm not sure if it's the same, but i had to undo the post on the back.
I used a set of pliers and unscrewed the post on the back and the lock just came out.
My truck is a 40.

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
There is a trick to doing it. I will get out my spare and refresh my memory on removing the latch. Will post it tomorrow.


1936 GMC T-14 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
Got this from a VCCA member.

Pull the square outward from the back of the lock, jiggle the key and the key comes out as does the latch and latch.
To reassenble, push the latch in until it clicks, look into the lock cavity and push the latch just enough to see the indention in it, push the cylinder in (with the key in it) and the peg on the back of the cylinder lined up with the indention on the latch, turn the key and it will click into place.


1936 GMC T-14 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
And what if I don't have the key?


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
dunfire got his information from me.....so.....I can tell you that there are three possibilities. #1 - find a locksmith or Chevrolet enthusiast with a bunch of try keys and see if you can stumble across the right key. #2 - have a lock smith pick the lock and if he can get it open and maybe a key could be made. #3 - forget it because 1, 2 and 3 are the only choices you have.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
Thanks Joe. Sure like your '37. smile


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 138
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 138
it has to be turned counter-clockwise. It goes about 1/8 of a turn beyond open while, at the same time, pulling back on the bottom of the latching bar that sits on the rear of the assembly. Then everything just comes apart.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0