The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Shade Baby, Mike B, klhansen, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Hi all,

I have a 1950 3100 truck with a vin that is not conform original coding. The VIN is on the title also, VIN plate is newer (matching title). I guess somewhere in time a mistake was made during a title transfer.

Current VIN 20PH18277

From what I found out it should be
20HP?18277 ? = production month

Is it possible to identify VIN letter combination based on plant code (20, LA) and production sequence number (18277) ?

Is there anyone out there with a 1950 3100 from LA plant - what is your VIN, is the production sequence number anything like mine ?

All help appreciated!

Thanks !

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,970
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,970
Try these references. You are correct about the place where you have the ? is a letter for the month, A=Jan, B=Feb, ...

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsmA5.htm

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/5052.htm

You may be able to research that website for more info.

I guess there was a typo error sometime in the past, and some previous owner had a new plate stamped to match the VIN on the title... Alot can happen in 60+ years. Good luck.


Professional Novice
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19
I have seen where a stolen and recovered vehicle that has had the VIN tag removed issued another VIN by the title state. I have also seen fellow swap VIN tags from body to body.. A big NO NO but as said a lot can happen in 60 odd years.

Mike


http://www.facebook.com/54bigbolt?ref=hl#!/54bigbolt
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
You are correct the identification number is incorrect as it stands, but by modifying the PH to HP it becomes the correct information. (1950 Chevrolet * 1/2 ton * 116" Wheelbase * Los Angeles Ca.) Changing it may be a big problem for you though. You can get a new tag from a few vendors (the 1950 tag was screwed on, not riveted), but at this point you would be breaking the law. In 1950, these tags were not considered VIN (vehicle Identification Numbers) They were used as serial numbers that when checked would show the wheel base, Plant location and Gross Vehicle Weight. Many states actually used the engine number as the VIN. This also caused lot's of registration problems because of the engine changes throughout the years.

As the subject has already been broached, changed identification plates may mean it could be stolen. I am always concerned with overseas sales because of this.

At this point you are under the assumption that the truck is really a 1950 and that the title was processed incorrectly, but since it is also on the identification tag that's doubtful. Pictures of your firewall the drivers side cowl may help in determining if this truly is a 1950.

Click THIS to cross check your numbers.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
If the title and vin match, I wouldn't be changing the vin to match GM coding. You never know if it was coded that way by GM or what the story was, but as long as it's titled and the vin matches the title it's probably not a concern.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
I know I am really late to the party on this topic, but I just ran through this exact problem with trying to id my own VIN. The OP has his VIN plate and pink slip correct, where he got it wrong is the forth "digit" for month of manufacture. Its not a number 1, but the letter I.

Maybe this can help someone else out before they rip there hair out like I did.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0