Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,700 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | I looked in the tech tips, but didn't see what I needed, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
Assembling a 1950 AD 3/4 ton pickup from buckets.
Trying to install the rear bumper, apron and brackets. Anyone have any pictures of how these attach?
If I put the brackets on like the pictures in the sales brochure shows, the frame is too narrow to bolt the brackets to it.
But the way the brackets are bent on the end, you can't turn them around.
Help. One part of the puzzle I'm puzzled about.
Roy | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Didn't think there was a rear apron. Later Edit Here is a pic from Denny's 3600, looks like my pics won't help you ...Denny pic...
Last edited by DADS50; 10/17/2012 4:50 PM. Reason: Edit
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | [quote
Didn't think there was a rear apron. [/quote]
Me neither. If he gets one mounted, I'd like to see a pic of it.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | That looks like what I needed to see. But if I bolt the brackets to the frame as shown, non of the bumper holes line up.
Guess I better see if I ordered the right brackets, or they shipped the wrong brackets.
I'll get pics of the apron and bumper tomorrow. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | I remember installing my front bumper, it was a bear.
I had to use ratchet straps on the brackets and long bolts to get it to line up.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 | Are you sure you're putting the correct bumper on the rear? Front and rear bumpers are different. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | That's a possibility if it being the wrong bumper, but the box it came in was marked "Rear Bumper".
Don't have the old original to compare it too.
I have a friend who has a 1950 Chevy truck, and may try to make a drive to go see it. Be a good excuse to go see him too. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 | It seems to me,you have a miss match of parts.On my 52 1/2ton the repro brackets and bumper fit good | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Is there a difference on width of the frame between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton where the rear bumper attaches?
If I mount the brackets to the bumper and apron, and hole it up to the frame, there is about 4 inch gap between the frame and bracket on each side.
I am working in a 3/4 ton frame | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Do you have 3/4 ton rear bracket/braces?
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | Didn't think there was a rear apron. There wasn't. It's an aftermarket thing. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 | Roy,I do think that the 3/4 ton the frame rails run parallel right to the back.A 1/2 ton is wedge shaped.Making it wider at the back | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Yes sir. Found that out today. Made a drive to a friends house that has a 1/2 ton.
So now, to figure out how to mount the new bumper and brackets to the 3/4 ton frame.
But now we know. LOL
And we don't have the 3/4 ton brackets. This truck came with a home made bumper/hitch that weighed a ton.
May have to find the right brackets.
Last edited by Roy Rodgers; 10/18/2012 9:41 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Kinda proud of the after market rear bumper brackets for the 3/4 ton.
I'm gonna mount the brackets to the bumper and apron, then see what I can build to fill the gap.
Thanks for the help guys. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | You may be able to draw it in.
I bolted my brackets to the frame first with some extra long bolts thru the frame. I just started the nut on the long bolt leaving everything loose
that allowed me to kick the bracket in a bit to start the bolts thru the bumper to the brackets, again using long bolts. once I got a bolt in every hole I tightened them up slowly
then changed them out 1 for 1 for the correct length bolt, and button head for the bumper
if was fun fun fun | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | I have roughly ( haven't measured yet) 4 inches on each side to fill because the 3/4 ton frame is narrower at the back than the 1/2 ton.
If I draw the brackets to the frame, the bumper is going to look a bit odd. LOL
I think I may be able to use a piece of C perlin to make a filler and bolt it to the frame, then bolt the bumper to the perlin. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | I did not have to make up 4 inches per side. My 1/2 Ton is 46 1/4 outside rail to outside rail at he rear I did discover something after you posted this I mounted mine wrong Mounted mine on the inside of he rail  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | That's about what the 1/2 ton I looked measured, but the 3/4 ton is no where close to that wide. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | That looks about correct as I can tell. See.... I should have asked earlier on during this build if there was a difference.
Thanks for the picture. Helps quite a bit. | | |
| |