The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (dunfire, Bill Hanlon, stlcardinalsguy, Otto Skorzeny, papas52, Wayne67vert), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#888748 10/11/2012 8:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
I currently have this crazy idea about taking a 65 long box fleet side 1/2 ton 2wd and making it a 4wd. I already have one 2wd and am working on a deal where I might end up with a second (my uncle). If I do I was thinking a 4wd would be a little more useful. We recently did the conversion on a 1978 and everything went really smooth. We found a 4wd frame and went for it! My question deals with what I am looking for in the frame. I am guessing any frame from 60-66 would work and am not real familiar with any considerations I should think about assuming I can be picky with the frame I find. On that note if you have in North Dakota or know of one (body on or off) let me know!

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I think the frame was wider in 1962 and prior, then became a little narrower in 1963. So you'd need to keep that in mind for the cab mounts. Sounds like a neat project.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
they became 8" narrower in the rear of the frame in 63
4 x 4 frames are also 2" deeper in the middle section
ron

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by padresag
they became 8" narrower in the rear of the frame in 63
4 x 4 frames are also 2" deeper in the middle section
ron
So does that mean a 62 cab will bolt onto a 63-66 frame without any modification to the mounts?

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by Lugnutz
Originally Posted by padresag
they became 8" narrower in the rear of the frame in 63
4 x 4 frames are also 2" deeper in the middle section
ron
So does that mean a 62 cab will bolt onto a 63-66 frame without any modification to the mounts?
no. mounting points on a 60-62 are wider. one just has to move the mounting points in the floor to accommodate the 63-66 frame mounts. but you can mount the later frt crossmembers in, up to 87 with a few modifications(fine width wise). the rad support is the only real thing that will directly mount across them all
ron

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
The frames are not only different dimensions 60-62 vs. 63-66, but they are different designs as well. The early frames have an X pattern while the later frames are a more traditional ladder frame style. Not to mention the torsion bar front suspension in 60-62 vs. the coil springs in 63-66.

Last edited by 62Stick; 10/15/2012 12:23 PM.

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0