| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,288 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 131 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 131 | Hello,
I am currently working on replacing the side footwell area on a 1949 chevy 3100 truck and am looking for recommendations for accurate replacement panels.
I am looking at the sides by the driver and passengers feet. I purchased some panels from classic parts of america and do not like one aspect of them. On the original ones there are some long indents(I assume for strength) that are flat on the botton and run nearly the width of the panel. On the replacement panels that I got from classic parts those same indents are wedge shaped and are not flat on the bottom like the originals.
Do any vendors carry more accurate replacements which have the flat bottoms on the indents and not the wedge shaped indents?
Thanks | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 131 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 131 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have bought those lower inside "inner cowl" patch panels from three vendors, three different styles/manufacturers. The all had the wrong sized "ribs" in the wrong location. We also have to cut the panels to fit the opening.
You might want to post a link to a picture of the part, or a vendor/part-number, to be sure we know the part you are referring to.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Is this the panel your refering to? ...pic... If so, your right the beads are not as deep as original ...pic... Had to cut and reform the panel to get it to fit on my truck. I noticed this panel from another members truck looked better ...link... | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 131 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 131 | The Panels DADS50 posted are the panels I am referring to. DADS, are the indents or ribs or whatever you want to call them in those panels that you linked formed with a wedge and have more of a triangle shape or are they flat at the bottom like the stock ones? What vendor did you get those from? The ones I purchased are http://www.classicparts.com/1947-54-Inner-Cowl-Panel-Right/productinfo/44-114/and http://www.classicparts.com/1947-50-Inner-Cowl-Panel-Left/productinfo/44-111/I also purchased the left adn right floor pans and as I have read in many other posts on the forum the radii on the corners are very far off from original and the transmission and battery covers fit very poorly. The bad part is that the radii on the corners seems like it would be difficult the manipulate to the correct size. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | The panel in my pic above is from classic parts. I had to buy 2 becaused I ruined the first one.
The radius on the bottom was off. I basically pounded it straight and rebent it with a hammer. Others have cut and rewelded
This was my first ever repair of this kind
I just left it with the shallow bead. I had considered taking the panel to a shop that had a bead roller to deepen the bead to match the original depth. But ended up using it as is
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 131 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 131 | Thanks. Yours look good once you got them installed. I am leaning towards throwing them on after seeing your pictures. I looked for a shop around here to re-form those grooves too and did not have any luck finding someone to do it.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | I didnt use the complete repair panel. ...pic... I just cut out the rusted metal at the bottom of the kick panel. I tried to keep as much original metal as possible. then tried to match up the beads, from the door to kick panels. (Orange arrows) ...pic... | | |
| |
| |