The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87763 03/09/2004 4:18 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
Has anyone experienced a runtz voltage resistor that self-destructed?

Yes, I had it correctly hooked up and properly grounded. But, I still didn't have a functioning gas gauge. frown I had a new sending unit also and it was properly grounded. No matter, the gauge still read empty. :mad:

Today, the cab filled with smoke on me. eek I shut 'er down in a hurry and disconnected the battery. After the smoke cleared, I found that the Runtz had gone up in smoke, melting its blue plastic cover. eek I sure hope this didn't ruin the gauge.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#87764 03/09/2004 4:29 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
53,
I have used a Runtz for a couple years now and have never seen this happen. How long did your Runtz last before this happened?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#87765 03/09/2004 4:48 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
It's been in the truck ('53 1/2 ton) about a month. No sign of smoke until today! :confused:

#87766 03/09/2004 3:34 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
I would email Randy Rundle the Moderator. As he is the Inventor of the Runtz I believe there is a link to Fifth Ave in the link section.

Please let us know what happens.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#87767 03/09/2004 5:08 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
I had one that fried, although not quite as bad as yours. I talked to Randy and he kindly replaced it. No charge. Your best bet is to give him a call. He can tell you if you may have had something wired up wrong to cause your problem.

Good Luck
George

#87768 03/09/2004 5:25 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 108
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 108
I have also had problems with the runtz. My '49 doesn't like them. I have the power lead coming straight off of the battery & it is grounded correctly. I have replaced it a couple of times. It works for a while then just dies and bingo no gauge again. I just watch my odometer from fill up.

#87769 03/10/2004 2:47 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
I have blown a couple of them over the years. Mine seem to have blown when I forgot to turn on my main battery cutoff switch before turning on my ignition switch. If I turn on the ignition switch then turn on the battery cutoff switch, I'll hear a pop then the gas gauge wont work. I cut open the blue insulation on the burned out ones to find that usually its one of the little brown capacitors or whatever they are, that actually crack apart.

#87770 03/11/2004 12:42 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Mine died this weekend. It was working intermittantly and would cut out after a few minutes of running. I have a brand new wiring harness and a new Delco alternator. I'm going to dissect it and analyze it to see what happened.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0