The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Southerntruck, jaycoop, Joe H, WICruiser, 2-Ton, 42465967, Shade Baby), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,362
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
I'm putting a 261 in my 50 Chevrolet . I purchased a 261 motor . It's complete except for the oil filter there's two passages on the left side of the block very small 1/4 I'm guessing . Where the steel lines would go for the oil filter . I purchased a remote oil filter kit that uses 1/2 pipe fittings . What should I do. I don't want to get crazy and bore out the block

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Post the numbers on the side of the block so someone can id the year of your 261. I'm not sure, the early ones may have had the small oil lines, however the later engines had 1/2" oil lines. There is a dowel in the side of the block that needs to be pushed in to make the engine a full flow through the filter. If you look in the tech tips you will see a conversion process for full flow.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
1954-1957 USA 261s had the small holes/lines for a by-pass oil filter.

You will need reducer fittings and a restrictor in the inflow line in your remote filter.

Jim Carter now lists a remote by-pass filter head for a spin-on filter. This set-up seems to have a by-pass restriction built in.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
1958 261 should have the full flow filter with 1/2 lines. You either have an earlier 261 or a 235.


Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
My engine casting numbers are 3733813

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
I believe it's not a full flow oiling system which is fine . It's just going to be a weekend driver . So I'm thinking about buying a beehive oil canister . Throw the spin on kit in garage for future use on something else

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Any chance the block casting code is 3738813?

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
I Checked the numbers on the block 3733813 are my numbers it looks like the motor uses the bypass oil filter the 1/8 pipe threads are used on the ports for the filter . I could try to find a original bypass housing or beehive for what I'll be using this motor for will be just fine


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0