The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (WICruiser, Napco Man, Bill Hanlon), 243 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#872348 08/05/2012 4:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
I am planning on treating the bed in my '65 with lampblack and linseed oil as it is the original bed. Does anyone know approximately how much this would require and the proportions of each ingredient?


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
I haven't used lampblack, but I have used Linseed oil and turpentine on my bed wood. Linseed oil and turpentine is an very old wood preservative, it works well. It does need to be used every couple of years to remain effective. With that in mind I don't know that I would worry about proportions. I'd mix it till you think it is right. I use a mix of 50/50 linseed oil and turpentine. Another option is to heat up the linseed oil and add some Bees wax, also an old time wood preservative mix. You can very the thickness by adding more turpentine.

There was a study done here several years on bed coatings. I don't remember Linseed oil as being included, but it might add some options if your interested. I don't know that it made it to the techtips, but you should be able to find it in a search.

Larry



I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Thank you Larry. You are probably right about the proportions, i.e., mix it until it seems to cover properly. It looks like I am going to have to order the lampblack since I haven't found it locally yet. I just want to order enough to do the whole job. Rob


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Lampblack or something similar used to be used for coloring newly poured cement. My Dad did that on our first patio about 60 years ago. You might try a local building supply.

Larry

Last edited by LGriffin; 08/06/2012 10:31 AM.

I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
That's a good idea. Thanks. Rob


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0