The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (fonz8261, jmoore, Hotrod Lincoln, Woodcmiami, Ludwig.van.dille, Shaffer's1950, 1 invisible), 73 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
Here is the link to the website: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-150100/ I know that Summit has a name to live up to so I know that these engine are probably a good buy. Just a wanting to know if anybody has ever purchased one and if so did you go with the 383 or stay at the 355. Also how many miles do you currently have on the motor and have you ran into any problems with it either building it or since it's been running.


Carson Holloway
[email protected]
Truck: 1949 Chevy 3100
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
For that much money for a bare block, I hope they buy you dinner and drinks, and use lots of K-Y jelly!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
Jerry even with all the machine work done you don't feel it's a good price?


Carson Holloway
[email protected]
Truck: 1949 Chevy 3100
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Over 600 bucks plus shipping for a basically rebored used block with a little clearance grinding done for stroker counterweights? It still needs a crank, rods, pistons, cam, lifters, timing chain and sprockets, and heads! That's highway robbery! I can re-sleeve one back to standard bore and spend less that that. I used to pick up freebie race blocks from my competitors ("It's 60 over already- - -it's junk!") I'd put 8 sleeves in the block, build up the engine, and beat 'em with their own castoffs! It got difficult to get trashed out discarded parts from people after awhile- - - -they were afraid I'd outrun them with their own junk!
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 04/29/2012 11:44 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
$750 for the bare block delivered vs $2250 for the short block delivered. That's $1500 for the rotating assembly and putting it together. Sounds OK but not compelling. What's your time worth?
How clean is your engine room?

regards,
Leon

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
I build NASCAR round track engines that stay together and win. My crankshafts cost me $2800.00 without rods or pistons. Total engine cost, parts and labor, is around $12,000.00.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to do a little asking around here to see what the machine work would cost me to bore the block out to .030.

Carson


Carson Holloway
[email protected]
Truck: 1949 Chevy 3100
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
Leon,

I am planning on building it myself anyways so the cost of my time is irrlevent. Why I though this was a good buy.

Carson


Carson Holloway
[email protected]
Truck: 1949 Chevy 3100
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Where are you in Mississippi? a road trip up to my place in south central Tennessee might be worth your time. I'm near Huntsville Alabama.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 97
Jerry, I live in Meridian which is on the east side of Mississippi where I20/I59 come into AL. I need to see if I can get a LT1 sold before I make the trip. Once I get it sold i'll get up with you on making that trip up.


Carson Holloway
[email protected]
Truck: 1949 Chevy 3100

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0