The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (frogfarmer), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Hello,

I am looking for original factory mounting instructions for the 1954 Chevy panel truck , driver & passenger bomber style seats.

The drivers seat is mounted on four corners and the passenger is hinged on the front of the riser.

I am looking for original factory mounting and placement instructions/drawings.

I believe the passeger seat was a option.

Thanks

jorb

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

jorb,

Interesting question. Yes, the seat was a factory option (RPO-263B), so the holes would have been drilled at the factory.

Let's hope that someone will post the location of the holes in their panel (if it has the passenger seat option). If no one posts information, I'd just place the seat where I like it and they drill the mounting-holes in the floor?

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
My truck had holes for the driver's seat, so when I found one, I just bolted it on. I can take a picture of the passenger area, there are holes there too. I mounted another driver's seat there, using a yoke for a hinge. I'll try and take some pics if you want today.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I don't see the holes for the passenger side seat in this picture

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by Mr. Lang
My truck had holes for the driver's seat, so when I found one, I just bolted it on. I can take a picture of the passenger area, there are holes there too. I mounted another driver's seat there, using a yoke for a hinge. I'll try and take some pics if you want today.

I would appreciate any photos/measurements you have.

Thank You

jorb

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Okay, I'll look for the camera!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Tim

The 47-54 assembly manual shows seat info on the pick-up truck but not much on panel truck. There had to be instruction on the drivers & auxiliary seat placement for the factory worker. Maybe they found the burn barrel.

Then again after the first 20 panel trucks they could have eyed them up and drilled the holes.

I think the both panel truck seats where all the same from 1947-1955 1st series and maybe beyond that. Also I think the same years used the same riser for the panel truck.

Link: below shows seats for,1955 56 57 58 59 CHEVROLET GMC PANEL.
panel seats The seats look like the 47-55 1st seats.seller could be wrong.

Thanks

jorb

Last edited by jorb; 02/10/2012 10:02 PM.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by GMONIZ
I don't see the holes for the passenger side seat in this picture

What year is that riser.

Thanks

jorb

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Originally Posted by jorb
Originally Posted by GMONIZ
I don't see the holes for the passenger side seat in this picture

What year is that riser.

Thanks

jorb

1947/1955 Chevrolet/GMC Panel

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
GMONIZ

Are you saying 1947 thru 1955 Chevrolet/GMC Panel.

Thanks

jorb

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Yes this is the seat riser out of a 1947/1955 GMC or CHEVROLET PANEL. I know that the passenger seat was an option, but I can not find any installation instructions showing the two seats.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Here are pics.
Here is a pic with the tape next to the driver's seat. You might note that the raised areas stop where the seats mount.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/HomeCrafter/IMGP2193.jpg

Here is the passenger side. You can just make out the hole 5/8" from the edge, and at about 14 1/2". I THINK these are the factory holes, as they are much "nicer" than the others on my truck, and don't SEEM to be drilled at home.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/HomeCrafter/IMGP2195.jpg

And here is how I mounted the passenger (which is another driver's) seat.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/HomeCrafter/IMGP2198.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd45/HomeCrafter/IMGP2196.jpg

As you can see, my truck is quite grubby apparently. Darn mud. I cut the bottom of the seat bracket off, and used a yoke as a hinge. I still need to get a shorter yoke, as the seat sits too-high. I also need to turn the rear blocks round, I never bothered to, as I knew I'd be making shorter ones anyway.

Now, I used two driver's seats, that came out of one other truck! In fact, I even bought the seats at different times, from different owners of the same truck! My panel didn't come with any seats. The passenger seat mounting holes should be located in the same way as the drivers, (I think) inboard passenger holes would be located where the raised areas are interrupted.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Mr. Lang

Your passenger seat mounting looks better than the factory set-up and with a little tweaking could be a lot more adjustable.

I am trying to keep my truck as original as possible. I have seen some photos of what I believe was original passenger seat mounting and there is a three point bracket. It is fastened with Two bolts into the face of the seat riser and one into the top. That is probably the 5/8" hole from the edge you are talking about.
Is there any holes on the riser face just down from that 5/8 hole?

Thank You for the pictures they gave me some ideas of where the seats are suppose to be mounted.

Correction: The two mounting brackets are fastened with two bolts each, 1 into face of riser and 1 into top edge of riser.
The brackets are mounted on two points, not three.
This applies to 1947-55 1st series Panel Trucks auxiliary seat.


jorb

Last edited by jorb; 02/29/2012 5:09 AM.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
My seat riser, only has one hole where each "bracket" would go. Perhaps my holes aren't really factory seat attachment at all? It's hard to say, as when the conversion was done on my panel, lots of changes were made. I have a '54 heater for instance!

The passenger seat in my bus, being another driver's seat, slides back and forth, as well as flipping forward/folding. It works pretty good, although I have so few passengers I don't know why I even bothered putting it in!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
My 53 panel had no mounting holes for the passenger seat.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Hello,

I found this instruction pdf
but I do not know what 4.6 CL means. Seat is 20.0 wide

page 88 in pdf box or page 127 on sheet

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/docs/Chevrolet-Trucks/1954-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

Any Ideas

Thanks

jorb


Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
CL means centre line. The centre of the truck, so the seat is off set 4.6 inches from the centre.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Oh, and that's a great link, thanks. I've seen a poor scan of that before, but this one is top notch!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

If the placement of the two seats is supposed to be symmetrical, Place the passenger seat in the "mirror location" on the other side of the mid-line. Mark the holes and drill?

Do you have the passenger seat base?


Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215

Last edited by 1953 panel; 02/16/2012 4:08 PM.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Now those are great pictures!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
1953 panel

Your hinge brackets are different then these.
1954 panel seats

I believe these are original from 1954 panel

jorb

Last edited by jorb; 02/26/2012 12:04 AM.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Tim

The truck came with two after market seats installed, they where mounted way to high. I am trying to return factory seating.
I have a early 50's original drivers side seat with base that came with truck.(rough shape)
I do not have a a passenger side seat,but I am waiting for a seller to send me pictures of both seats that are in great shape with all the mounting hardware and bases. Trying to verify if what he has is correct.

Thanks

Last edited by jorb; 02/17/2012 3:41 AM.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146

Thanks for CL definition.

This is what I am looking for:
seat instruction for 1955 sedan delivery

But for the 1954 Chevy panel truck seat.

jorb

Last edited by jorb; 02/25/2012 11:56 PM.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
P
pb1 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 43
Hey, just FYI those seats and brackets in the photos at the bottom of page 2,(shop shark/ontario) are 41-47, not 48-53.... Jorb's photos of the 54 are the correct ones. Steve

Last edited by tclederman; 02/17/2012 8:07 PM. Reason: please buy/sell via email and/or private messages

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0