The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (classicchevs), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#823173 02/05/2012 2:47 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 90
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 90
Looking for ideas for adding turn signals on my 37 1/2ton. Don't want them to take away from the original look of the truck. Anyone have any thoughts or products that work well?

Thanks,
Charlie

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Have a look on ebay, at some of the vintage signal lamps that come up for sale. I like the look of some of the old ones that are a light-up arrows, with little visors on them. They do seem to be pricey though, as the rad rodder types like them too.

You can get re-pop signal stat type switches, but I don't care for them, as they don't seem to hold up as well as the old ones, but maybe I had a bad one. I had the seven wire model.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
I have a 38 GMC which is about the same . I used Hottronices self canceling turn signal set up works off a spring loaded double throw toggle switch or 2 push buttons, I like it and it works good . For front turn lights I found some Harley Davidson bullet turn signal lights that look similar to our head light buckets then fabricated a bracket to mount them to the front bumper. They not only look good, they also look like they belong on the truck


1938 Gmc 1/2 ton
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
These mounted to the front fenders are commonly used as turn signals and parking lights. These are repops of lights that were available in '37.

For the back you can use the '40 style tail light on both sides then use this back up light as a turn signal on both sides.

This is how the lights look on the front fenders. This is how the back up light looks mounted to the tail light.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 90
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 90
I was looking at the headlights with the built in turn signals......anyone use these before?
Chevs of the 40's

Charlie

Last edited by 37FamilyBowTie; 02/06/2012 10:31 PM.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Your original post said you didn't want to take away from the original look. If you decide to go with halogens be aware of the current requirements of halogen lights. I'm not saying you can't go that route just be aware that it's likely not a plug-n-play situation.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
I used the xenon w/ directionals (check spelling on this)but my situation was completely different. I did not go the stock route my wiring system is a modern (Painless) system. They do fit in the 37 buckets but have a flat lense. I also run a separate relay. check out the photo in my bucket. If you are going as stock as possible find 7" seal beams, 6 or 12 volt. and go with added directional lights. I used motor cycle bullet lights for additional brake lights
Just my 2 cents
Al

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Tiny, those lights look great on Sweetie, like Buck Rodgers!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 90
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 90
Al.....what kit did you use from painless.....been thinking about possible going to a new setup....12volt.

Charlie

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by Mr. Lang
Tiny, those lights look great on Sweetie, like Buck Rodgers!
Up, up and awayyyyyyy. chug


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 116
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 116
I fitted my 37 1/2 with turn signals by buying a relatively inexpensive signal kit (that bolts to the steering column). I believe it was a 7-wire kit. It required a flasher. I already had a nice set of original fog lamps on the front. The kit allowed me to wire directly into these and into my stock taillights. It was a pretty simple add on and they work very well. I should mention that when I restored the truck, there was no wiring left, so I rewired for 12V.

Good luck.

Jim

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
Those fender mounted lights Tiny mentioned are the closest to original looking....or you could find some '40 park lights and convert them to 1157 bulbs, like I did. Some were on Ebay for $60 recently, or available repro also...Good luck.

Last edited by 40casey; 02/11/2012 3:46 PM.

1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0