Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Rusted Nut, 1 invisible),
75
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,513 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 47 | Guys, Help! My stock 53 3600 normally runs fine, but yesterday I had to have it towed home. Some history, recently addded 3 ozs. of Lucas fuel cleaner. top off my tank which was on 3/4. truck ran great about 2 weeks ago the last time I drove it. Yesterday, it was hard to keep it running even choked at higher rpm. Seemed to really hesitate under load, but would stall sitting still. Also really really hard to start. I'm stumped. Greatly appreciate any help. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | Check your point gap, and/or the point contacts for being dirty or burned. The point rubbing block has a bad habit or wearing, which closes up the gap. That retards the timing, and also messes up the coil saturation and condenser discharge. If the ignition checks out OK, try a fuel pump volume test. You could have a clogged fuel filter or a restricted outlet in the fuel tank causing fuel starvation. Check ignition first, then fuel. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 47 | I'll try what you suggest. I was thinking fuel pump, since it is intermittent and not dead all together. It's been running great till yesterday, then as I described. The carb was rebuilt about 3 months ago, the fuel filter was new then. Points and condensor new at the same time. Fuel pump is older, just didn't replace because it was working ok. I did research the construction of the pump and do see how it can become intermittent before dying. Thanks so much for all your suggestions. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | My 52 216 stopped running and I could not figure it out. They are simple machines - just gas & spark. Someone suggested replacing the rotor and cap. I replaced them for $15 and now it runs like a champ. It is the little things that drive you nuts.
Best of luck
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 | Since I'm left handed,I think on the other side of my brain.You said it normally ran fine.You added a fuel cleaner,now you have a problem.I think the fuel cleaner did it's job,and you have crud in the fuel line,and/or filter | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | 3 ounces of cleaner to a full tank of gas would have about as much effect as whizzing on a forest fire. The problem is probaqbly just a coincidence. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 47 | Thanks to everyone. OK, Got it running. Yeah, the fuel cleaner was a coincedence, but I had never used it before so I was suspicious because of the situation. 1st, I need to get some glasses, the points had a very clean 1/16" hole through the middle of the stationary side which I hadn't noticed at first, the cond. also shot. The "SMP" dr60 condesor only lasted 150 miles, whats up with that? I also changed out the fuel pump for good measure, since I don't know the age of the original one. I will get a new rotor and cap since I'm on a roll. Thanks again to everyone for their input and solutions, sometimes I forget to look for the simple solutions first. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | That hole in thre stationary point is normal for some of them. The idea was to spread out the contact area over a wider surface than right in the center where most points put it. It was necessary to do a very careful alignment of the ventilated ground point on a distributor tester by bending the stationary point mount with a special tool and watching the tiny spark as the points would make and break. Doing it on the vehicle was almost impossible, so most shade tree shops didn't install the vented points. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 47 | Thanks for the info on the vented points, I think for now I'll stay with the good'ol solid type, but I think I'm headed for electronic ignition unless I can find reasons not to. Thanks again. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | If you are going electronic ign some day , I suggest you put PERTRONIX on your "to be considered" list.
I have several in service now and some have been in daily use for 12yrs without any issues.
Regards | | |
| |