The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
What is the correct position of the rear lower shock mount, for a 1950 1/2 ton with tube shocks?

The shock mount bracket, which holds the leaf spring, can be installed 2 different ways.

With the shock post/nut in the "up" or "down" position. This changes the distance of the shock length.

If I use the "up" position and have the correct shock, does it really matter.


-Tom

1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
i asked this question on oldgmctrucks.com and i have been told to install it in the "down" position. I checked out my old ones and found the spot where the nut had worn down the metal and determined they were installed in the "down" position. I also looked at my pictures of the truck before i took it all apart and that was the same thing i found out. I think this allows for the full range of motion of the shock absorber, but i'm not completely sure. i am fairly sure that i have them correct in the "down" position.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
Assembly manual shows it down.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Mine are down. You may run out of travel with them up, which would bust them off.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
I have a similar dilema. I replaced my worn-out leaf springs including my shock absorbers. I installed them per the Assembly manual. For the rear shock mounts,they are in the down position and found that the new rear tube shocks that chevy duty had sold me were(about 1-2") too short to attach. I am now looking to find some new rear shocks by measureing the fully extended distance. Anybody experience this?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Terry, do you have the weight of the truck sitting on the wheels while you're trying to install the shocks? In a lot of cases, the shock length limits the suspension travel, so the axle housing must be jacked up to get the shock installed. Just a thought, as it's necessary, sometimes, to have weight on the suspension when removing/installing rear shocks. I run the auto shop at McGavock High School in Donelson. Call me or send an IM if I can help out.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
Installed the mounts in the down position.
Distance between my shock mounts are 21".

Truck is sitting on wheels, but minus the weight for a wood bed.

The rear shocks are Monroe 33049. They measure about 14" compressed, to 23" extended to the very end, when off the vehicle.

The 23" shock just looked over extended at 21". I guess the weight for the wood bed will bring the distance a little closer.

Thanks for the input.


-Tom

1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
Hotrod Lincoln, I have only the cab and inner front fenders on a rolling (and Driving) chassis. The bed (with wood) and four fenders are yet to be installed. I may give you a shout when I hang those. But, I am thinking that those springs may have raised the frame further from the lower shock mount. The extra weight may pull the frame into place, but those new springs are stiff (rides like a truck again). I live in green hills when I am not working in Oak Ridge. Thanks for the suggestion, it just might solve it.

Terry


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0